PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver substitute for Linux

spas87
September 20th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Hi i have installed a Linux dual boot on my pc and im using it for web development purposes but as i don't want to fiddle just to be able to use Dreamweaver as i have used it only for 2-3 sites building for my course work in Uni.

I want a software similar to Dreamweaver i know quite a few names but im looking for advise what to start and not to test them all till i like one.

The features which im looking for the moment are mainly css editing to have a panel which i can easily select properties for different classes and tags because if i have to go and edit them manually, i as well might use gEdit (not that i wont occasionally) which is my favorite :_).

Second to support if is possible(things on the top are more important):
1. HTML,XHTML
2. CSS
3.PHP
4.Mysql
5. Javascript

any thoughts on:

Bluefish Editor

Kompozer

jerenept
September 20th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Try Geany.

spas87
September 20th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks but i will give a try to Kompozer my only fear is that i read that it changes code when previewing how the page would look is that a valid concern or?

If it is i think i will try BlueFish or Quanta Plus anyone have tried these Two or?

Thanks but i think Geany is a bit like JEdit with modules if im not mistaken?

jerenept
September 21st, 2011, 02:56 AM
Thanks but i will give a try to Kompozer my only fear is that i read that it changes code when previewing how the page would look is that a valid concern or?

If it is i think i will try BlueFish or Quanta Plus anyone have tried these Two or?

Thanks but i think Geany is a bit like JEdit with modules if im not mistaken?

Geany is a text editor that has code highlighting, code folding and can call the suitable compiler (GCC, LLVM, FreePascal, etc.). Never used JEdit, so I think you may be right.

psrdotcom
September 21st, 2011, 03:18 AM
Try Bluefish or Nvu ..

IWantFroyo
September 21st, 2011, 03:20 AM
I've never used Dream Weaver, but I hear Kompozer and Quanta Plus are a lot like it. I've also heard a lot of good things about those two, so I would give them both a try.

I personally just use BlueFish. I have absolutely no clue on whether it's anything like Dream Weaver, but it is worth using.