PDA

View Full Version : How do you find jobs in Software Engineering/CS

WinterMadness
September 20th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Looking on craigslist or monster.com, I noticed they show very few jobs in the field, and the ones that show up are essentially looking for someone who isnt right out of college, with at least 3-4 years experience. This of course, assumes that the field is really CS related, a ton of the job postings are by business degree holders not knowing what category their "computer guy job" should be listed under.

Just curious, how does anyone even find a job in this field? Do new grads usually find jobs through their college? How did YOU do it? Granted, I have some time (years) before I graduate, but im the type who always looks ahead.

ve4cib
September 20th, 2011, 06:01 PM
A few things that helped me find a job when I first graduated...

1- Finding a job is a full time job. It's tempting to slack off and enjoy a mini-vacation or something, but if you're serious about finding work you need to work hard to find something.

2- Governments often have job websites that are independent from sites like Craigslist and Monster. JobBank.gc.ca is one such example in Canada, and I'm sure there are similar ones from other countries. JobBank lists both government positions and jobs with private companies, and has sections specifically for students and recent graduates. If you're not from Canada I suggest you contact someone in your own federal/state/provincial/municipal government(s) and ask if they have a similar service.

3- If you think the job looks good but you don't have the "required experience" apply anyway. Very rarely do companies get applicants who meet all of their hiring criteria, so applying with a few missing pieces is okay. Play up what experience/expertise you do have in your cover letter and resume, and downplay your lack of paid experience. College/university projects are a great way of showcasing your experience if you did any relevant work while getting your degree/certificate.

4- If you're missing some technical skills they ask for that's fine. Apply anyway and play up the skills you do have. Most companies are prepared to do some on-the-job training to fill in any gaps new hires may have. When I got my first job out of university I was hired to be a web/GIS developer. I'd never done any web dev before, knew nothing about Javascript, and had only the barest understanding of GIS (Geographical Information Systems). But I learned quickly, and worked there for about a year and a half.

5- Proofread your cover letters and resume. Typos look bad, and if you're already missing some technical skills and/or experience this may be enough to put you into the "do not want" pile.

6- Feel free to tailor your resume/CV for each job. Many people focus on having one general-purpose resume they can use for everything. This can work if you have lots of experience, but often it's better to re-arrange sections or use different references depending on what job you are applying for.

7- If your university/college has a co-op/internship program then take advantage of it. It's a great way to get practical work experience that will help you get hired later. It's also a good way to meet potential employers. Even if your school doesn't have a formal program like that many schools offer "Industrial Projects" courses, where students are effectively hired by companies/NPOs to write software for them. You don't get paid for these courses normally, but it's still practical experience.

Dangertux
September 20th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Well I don't work in Software Engineering I work in IS but I think my experiences are relatively universal in the job market. Particularly considering the state of the market in many places.

1 -- Monster.com is a WASTE of time. Think about it, how many things have you subscribed to in email that you don't even read? HR departments do the same thing. They will look at the most outstanding and then delete the rest without so much as giving you a call back. Call around and ask if companies are hiring. Ask to speak to the HR department. One they may have an available job that's not posted. Two it will set you apart from the crowd, and three it will help you not get depressed. Not getting a call back for weeks on end can be very discouraging. However, this will help you stay motivated by actually getting to talk to people. Remember HR's job is to put behinds in chairs. Make sure they know who you are.

2 -- Network network network. This is huge, it's much easier to meet people in your desired field if the first time you approach them isn't asking them for an interview, and you would be surprised how many of those people have the ability to make hiring decisions or recommendations. Employers like to know what they are getting before they buy it. So the more time you can spend interacting with them and showing them what you can do for them the better your chances are.

3 -- Get experience, at least in the field I work you won't even be considered without experience. Regardless of your degree or certifications. An employer wants to know more than you KNOW how to do the job, they want to see that you have a solid work ethic as well. Someone can sit and pontificate about doing something all day, but if they don't have the motivation to go do it they are useless to an employer. I highly suggest internships, even if you're not paid or only paid a little. Particularly while you're in college and have a little extra time. 2-3 years of experience will put you ahead of the game when graduating. I was lucky, I had over 6 years of experience in the military doing the job I was applying for. That helped me immensely. Experience PARTICULARLY in todays job market outweighs certifications and degrees, because it shows that the candidate has actually performed the duties or similar before. They are likely just as enthusiastic about the topic as you are, take this time to talk to them, build a relationship with them. Then start inquiring about working with them. Also important if it doesn't work out, maintain contact with them, don't appear as if you were using them. They also talk to other employers so while they might not have a job, another employer might take to heart a recommendation from a friend.

4 -- Always be ready to accept two things, you don't know anything yet , and that you want to be trained. Employers are looking for young eager minds they can "program" to do it THERE way. They want to train you and mold you into the employee they want you to be.

5 -- Be excited, talk about things in the field that interest you, your experiences etc. Don't just act like , yep I need a job, and this is what I went to school for. Employers are looking for enthusiasm not someone who "fakes it until the make it".

Those are my tips, they've been successful for me and many other's I've known in the past. Overall incorporate it into your search. Also the tips given above are VERY important.

Always remember you're approaching the employer from the perspective of what you can do for THEM, not that you need them to give you a job.

juancarlospaco
September 20th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I think it depends on the place you live...,
job searching sites dont do anything useful for me,
Temporary Jobs Agencies are not good (i dont know how you name these kind of agencies),
Social events, Linux events, Helping contacts, follow IT people, do the trick.

Never say "i got XYZ Degree", say "i know that, just try me" (for a technical test trial).
IT segment are a small, and sometimes you need someone to cover a job efficiently.

Dangertux
September 20th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I think it depends on the place you live...,
job searching sites dont do anything useful for me,
Temporary Jobs Agencies are not good (i dont know how you name these kind of agencies),
Social events, Linux events, Helping contacts, follow IT people, do the trick.

Never say "i got XYZ Degree", say "i know that, just try me" (for a technical test trial).
IT segment are a small, and sometimes you need someone to cover a job efficiently.

I agree mostly, however temporary job placement agencies (at least in the U.S.) often will place you in a temp to hire position, so you will be getting a test run. If your work is good there is a chance that company may hire you.

juancarlospaco
September 20th, 2011, 08:22 PM
temporary job placement agencies (at least in the U.S.) often will place you in a temp to hire position, so you will be getting a test run. If your work is good there is a chance that company may hire you.

At the place i live, these agencies, we call them "Consultoras" take very young boys/girls,
they give you a temp job, a smartphone, a netbook,
and they say you that time to time you will increase the amount of money you get,
they pay you VERY few money, you are a "Trainee" they say (even if the search dont say that),
but young people get over-excited by the free pc and phone, and stay there...,
with very crappy salaries, maybe fulltime + extras, they never pay more,
never hire permanently, you dont learn too much, they dont give you any training,
you complain, they take you off, "its a temp job you know it from the start" they say.

It happened to some friends; i only take 1 temp job there, i dont like it...

Dangertux
September 20th, 2011, 08:31 PM
That's horrible. Well , I've never seen that here , but be on the lookout for scams. That's another good tip. If a company is willing to hire you fast with little work. There is probably something up. Be wary of "looking to make an immediate hire!" They will probably let you go just as quickly.

juancarlospaco
September 20th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I mean, ok, you will get job and money...,
but c'mon there are another places and jobs where you will learn interesting things and treat you like a human partner.

As i say:

" Work for expensive price, or work for Free Ad-Honorem, but Never work for Cheap "

:)

PhilGil
September 20th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I got my IT job through the placement office at the college I was attending. Been here for 11 years.

Temporary agencies can be OK. Our office has placed a couple of admin folks using temp to hire. However, I would be suspicious of any employment agency that collects their fee from the job-seeker.