PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried Amazon Cloud?

ki4jgt
September 20th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Until a few weeks ago, I wanted to host my own website (Forums) for a special interest group on a server in my house. It had around 8 gigs of RAM and a 6MBps download, DSL connection. Then I spoke with a bunch of other people who had started their own sites. They told me that I'd be better off using Amazon Cloud services. I read up on it and realized, I know nothing about this stuff. Is this worth running it on Amazon or can you suggest somewhere else?

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/

vehemoth
September 20th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I like 000webhost because it's at no cost and has the best service for that price that I've seen.

Dragonbite
September 20th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I like 000webhost because it's at no cost and has the best service for that price that I've seen.

Even the paid version ($4.84/month) isn't bad! I'm paying $3.75 per month now for less space (not that I am using it all).

aeiah
September 20th, 2011, 03:46 PM
as far as i can tell, amazon cloud is really designed for, well, cloud computing. you pay for cpu cycles and whatnot, but really its designed for enterprise uses and numbercrunching stuff. im pretty sure for a personal site it doesn't work out very cost effective.

Paqman
September 20th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Amazon is good if you have a complicated site (eg: web app) and want it to be able to scale quickly and easily if your business grows. There's absolutely no need to use them if you're just hosting a forum. Any old VPS or your own machine at home will do fine for that.

LowSky
September 20th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Amazon has certification from the US government or something like that involving its Cloud services. I even think its used by a few American Agencies.