PDA

View Full Version : diffrence of ubuntu with other linuxes?

medya
May 30th, 2006, 04:03 PM
hey guys I have tested some other linuxes live CD, (like knoopix , redhat..)
I really didnt see major diffrence between ubuntu and other linuxes...

can u tell me their diffrences?

I mean, what the ubuntu team adds to the linux ?
do they really add something to Linux's Source Code ?
if yes what are the things tha ubuntu adds ?

I see in all linuxes, if I want to play RM flies I have to install RealPlayer,
or if I want to play mp3, I should install xmms...
or if I want to chat I should install Gaim...

let say we have two linux machines, both of them have GAIM , XMMS , VLC Player , OpenOffice.
what Ubuntu does for me that other linux doenst ? (while I have installed all those program)

I am really confused that what ubuntu team has added to linux that it is that popular... everywhere I hear ubuntu is cool ...and blah blah.

what ubuntu does that mandrake or red hat or knpoopix doenst do ?

by the way what is the best linux Else than Ubunut to try on my PC ?

ComplexNumber
May 30th, 2006, 04:08 PM
all distros have slight differences in the way that no 2 people are the same - each distro has their own characteristics. for example, many of the scripts are slightly different from oen distro to the next. but if you're looking for things that ubuntu has that no others do, i would have thought its the following that separates it from the others:
-the default disabling of the root account.
-shipping a free cd

medya
May 30th, 2006, 04:14 PM
and I think all linuxes, share the same weaknesses...

for example there is no Linux Distro which has found a trick to let the users to use "Yahoo Messenger with Voice Webcam and Public Chatroom "

another question ,
if a hardware doesnt work in a distro,, is it possible to work in another distro?
for example a Webcam... my webbcam doesnt work with ubuntu...
is there any chance that other linux distros support my cam ? should I search for it ? or it is not related to ubuntu and it is all about linux itself.?

medya
May 30th, 2006, 04:21 PM
I mean... they are working so hard to make Dapper Drake... and there a lot of news about them in the medias...
what they are working hard on? what they are adding to linux that takes that much work?