PDA

View Full Version : Furious at Dapper

PapaWiskas
May 30th, 2006, 03:51 PM
So I upgraded to Beta 2 (should have said RC instead of Beta, thanks NESFreak) of Dapper using the method described by aysiu.

And let me tell you, my boot time is now 1 minute and 20 seconds vs the nice comfortable 2 minutes plus that I had before. I at least had time to go to the restroom and do my thing before I was able to log in.:confused:

The 2nd thing that has me flummoxed, when I go to shut down my laptop or reboot it, it actually reboots and/or shuts off. I no longer have to hold my power button after the LVM group thingy is displayed.](*,)

So whoever is responsible for fixing these things in Dapper, I sure would like a word with them, because it throws off my whole routine!:twisted:

And another thing....things seems to open much faster and are much more responsive than what they used to be. So let me ask, was it really necessary to fix so many things at once, couldn't they have broke it to us gently, maybe just fixed a few things here and there? I mean really, all this efficiency is very un-nerving.

Perfect Storm
May 30th, 2006, 03:54 PM
:-D :-D :-D

That's life, man 8)

Super King
May 30th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Great post :-D

NESFreak
May 30th, 2006, 03:58 PM
the RC is already out and now you come with a post about beta 2?
Man you really must hate changing things. XD

papangul
May 30th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I mean really, all this efficiency is very un-nerving.
However all is not lost, there is still some hope left:
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/47195 :mrgreen:

Metro
May 30th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Wonderful :mrgreen:

PapaWiskas
May 30th, 2006, 04:03 PM
the RC is already out and now you come with a post about beta 2?
Man you really must hate changing things. XD

I Ammended my original post, I meant the latest Release Candidate, but I am not big in to particulars nor am I an expert in Linux by any means. So names numbers etc....they get to confusing, but I think people understand what I mean.

Thanks for pointing it out though.:mrgreen:

onesojourner
May 30th, 2006, 04:08 PM
for real. screw dapper. all these changes are going to bring my world to an end.

fuscia
May 30th, 2006, 05:18 PM
i'm going back to ME.

therunnyman
May 30th, 2006, 07:27 PM
"Flummoxed!" That's hilarious; one word gets a laugh, among all the other strings of words that got a laugh.

You are a master wordsmith, good sir.

runny

M7S
May 30th, 2006, 11:01 PM
I couldn't agree more with OP. If you're going to launch a new version of your OS such as dapper, at least wait five years before you release it, put a big pricetag on it and force people to use long and complicated licencenumbers to complete the install. Otherwise people might install it, get frustrated with speed, eyecandy and stuff. You can't even call it a Service pack if you wait only six month and won't charge for it. Don't confuse the costumers, Canonical! :p

Regards,
M7S

jdong
May 31st, 2006, 12:04 AM
Ha! I was looking for a genuine complaint about Ubuntu, and found this :)

But seriously, I have to agree. I'm a tinkerer at heart, and lately I've been feeling really ADHD with Ubuntu.... there just isn't enough for me to fix. Hell, I've even written a defragger for Linux... Where are my broken ebuilds to patch? Where are my new CFLAGS to test tonight? Where are all the bugs to iron out? This is an outrage!

PapaWiskas
May 31st, 2006, 04:54 AM
I really hate bugs, they freak me out, the thought of something that little having a brain? Unnnngggghhhh!

nocturn
May 31st, 2006, 08:06 AM
And let me tell you, my boot time is now 1 minute and 20 seconds vs the nice comfortable 2 minutes plus that I had before. I at least had time to go to the restroom and do my thing before I was able to log in.:confused:

I know the feeling. At least my XP at work (Dell Latitude D600 laptop with 512MB RAM) lets me go to the restroom, and get coffee. The login screen is usually there a few seconds after I return from these activities (not kidding).

I mean, do they know their users or what? It did take some updates for them to get their timing right so maybe Dapper in a year will be equally office-friendly.
As long as the time to boot does not accomodate restroom and coffee time, I consider Ubuntu not ready for the desktop!

asimon
May 31st, 2006, 09:31 AM
Where are all the bugs to iron out? This is an outrage!
Pah! There is really no shortage on bugs waiting in Malone. ;-)

Otherwise: Just use reiserfs for all your volumes, this fs takes so long to mount, you'll have plenty of restroom time...

nocturn
May 31st, 2006, 09:34 AM
Otherwise: Just use reiserfs for all your volumes, this fs takes so long to mount, you'll have plenty of restroom time...

I have reiserfs on all my volumes and it mounts very fast. You can turn of the extra consistency check though as reiser does this on mounting (which means the default options make this happen twice).

jeremy
May 31st, 2006, 12:42 PM
i'm going back to ME.
Shouldn't that be, "I'm going back to I"?

mostwanted
May 31st, 2006, 01:15 PM
Shouldn't that be, "I'm going back to I"?

I think he was referring to Windows ME.

jc87
May 31st, 2006, 01:39 PM
And Nautilus seems to crash less and less each release , do you really want to live in a world where your GUI is 100% stable and you never have to kill it?

God i´m so mad:twisted:

jdong
May 31st, 2006, 03:26 PM
I have reiserfs on all my volumes and it mounts very fast. You can turn of the extra consistency check though as reiser does this on mounting (which means the default options make this happen twice).

reiserfs on average does take longer to mount than any other filesystem. Particularly on extremely large volumes (like a 1TB RAID), at times reiser can be mounting for over 1 minute.

It's a price you pay for the blazing fast performance later on :)

nocturn
May 31st, 2006, 03:29 PM
reiserfs on average does take longer to mount than any other filesystem. Particularly on extremely large volumes (like a 1TB RAID), at times reiser can be mounting for over 1 minute.

It's a price you pay for the blazing fast performance later on :)

My largest Reiserfs partition is 120 GB, but most are 10-40 so I haven't notided it.

But indeed, a bit slower mount times are acceptable to me too.