PDA

View Full Version : The Big Move to Linux

Belgoroth
September 19th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Greetings

So I made the choice, deleted my windows my partition and installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my pc. while i have used linux before, mostly just for exploration

So the learning curve comes... After some time on google and getting a working internet connection I can play music and watch some movies with a bit of google on the side.
My 2 screens are working and 2 of my 6 speakers delivering sound. My Graphics card was not working so well and my attempt to get wine going for the few games I still hold interest in showed that even more

While this is going on i was formatting and installing Ubuntu on my laptop.
Both are running ok but the basic day to day tasks seem difficult, I'm not sure if its fail on my side or ubuntu.
I noticed that ubuntu on my desktop is not such a great option since only certain videos work and the machine tugs along slowly.
but since my laptop has the same issues I started to research on this and this brings me to my questions or debate

First one: Connecting to windows shares are random, this makes the laptop hard to use at work. I have install smbclient and winbind yet its either too slow and yimes out or it doesn't even connect.

How do drivers work? how come I need to install xorg ati drivers on my laptop which is intel HD on it. The desktop has Nvidia in it and the additional driver option helped the desktop videos yet the laptop still gets black "tearing" when video is used including the glxgears option. I hope this is not because its a unsupported deviece issue.

So don't get me wrong i would rather wave through learning linux than loose all my stuff because of a virus again.

this forum is very informative and has helped a lot looking forward to getting it working.

The machines are
laptop HP probook 4530s core i5 with 4 gigs of ram and intel HD 3000
Desktop is Core i7 870 nvidia 460 gtx x2 16 gigs of ram
I'm guessing start up and general use should not be sluggish ( was expecting it to be snappy) so I went through the usual checks up to ensure my hardware is ok
The desktop responded a lot better after the nvidia drivers. The resolution was also solved with this.
as for laptop resolution came back after an update.
now sharing info between them
I used share internet from my 3g modem in the HP to the desktop, how is this possible in linux? this includes folders and files mostly my music and documents.
this also includes the windows machine I cannot format ( just files nor 3g)

Any advice?

wolfen69
September 19th, 2011, 09:13 PM
This is not a help section. You should start another thread in the appropriate area.

MG&TL
September 19th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Well...well done on the switch; you've been very brave-two at once, and a work machine as well? :)

For support with hardware, go to hardware and laptops sub-forum, here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=332

For networking:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=336

For general help:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331

And welcome!

(just to expand on wolfen...;) )

Belgoroth
September 19th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Oh sorry for the wrong section, don't mind running through the issues to get it resolved just looking for where to go from here.

As for the work pc, hoping to get this working so I can put it on the machines there.

Thanks

grahammechanical
September 19th, 2011, 11:54 PM
I have just gone on the HP site and it says this regarding your laptop

AMD Radeon HD 6470M with 512 MB dedicated GDDR5 video memory

One problem on one machine at a time is a better way to ask for suggestions. Otherwise you will get what seems to be conflicting advice from different people as they try to answer different issues.

Where manufacturers do not supply sufficient technical information about their products Linux developers are then restricted in getting Linux to work with those products. We have to rely sometimes of drivers provided by the maker. That is why we have to install proprietary drivers. This is not ideal for anyone who wishes to use Open Source software.

Use the Ubuntu Software Centre and search for Ubuntu Restricted Extras. and install it. You might find an improvement with video.

Regards.

smellyman
September 20th, 2011, 02:46 AM
Should keep your windows partition if you have one.....I always keep it since you never know.

New machines I try to buy without windows, but no point in erasing something you already purchased.

Belgoroth
September 20th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Yes, I have noticed that windows is still needed, specially if I want to use 3g and wireless.
as for the ATI thought it would come with the ATI sticker indicated it has one.

Is it going to be better to wait for a newer version of linux?
Finding it a bit redundant if I need to keep windows on just to enable features in linux, Understandable that the manufactures only aim for Windows will have to look into more compatible laptops :)