PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installation advice & recovery options

hell_rider
September 19th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Hello all,

Need some help with a new installation and accessing data on an old installation.

Query 1:
--------
I've got a new Thinkpad SL410. Intel Core2Duo T6670 CPU. Intel 4 Series Express chipset GMA for display. Its got 4GB RAM and 320GB SATA HDD. Like my earlier laptop, I need this to be a dual boot.

I've already installed XP Pro SP3 on the main partition. I wanted to install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64-bit on the other 40 GB partition.

Any known issues of running 64-bit 10.04 LTS on a laptop ?? I really want to experience 64-bit with 4 GB of RAM.

For XP to install and run, SATA has been set to "Compatbility Mode" in BIOS as XP does not work with AHCI mode.

Query 2:
--------
My older laptop crashed with a MoBo failure. The HDD itself however is OK. I removed it, put it into a USB casing and attached it to another Windows machine. I am able to access all my Windows partitions on the old hard disk.

Is the same thing possible with the Ubuntu partition as well ? If I make my new installation 64-bit (the 8.04 installation was 32-bit), can I access the data on my Ubuntu partition on the old HDD ? There are some files on the Desktop and my personal folders that I need to access and copy over to my new installation.

I (unfortunately) did not make a separate /home partition on the old installation.
The filesystem was ext3.

So the main query is if I can access the data on my old 32-bit 8.04 Ubuntu partition and whether its possible to do so from a new 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 LTS installation.

I only have a LiveCD of 7.04 Fiesty Fawn. This was the initial installation which I later upgraded to 8.04.

Looking forward to your assistance in my queries.

Thanks in advance.

Hakunka-Matata
September 19th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Hello all,

Need some help with a new installation and accessing data on an old installation.

Query 1:
--------
I've got a new Thinkpad SL410. Intel Core2Duo T6670 CPU. Intel 4 Series Express chipset GMA for display. Its got 4GB RAM and 320GB SATA HDD. Like my earlier laptop, I need this to be a dual boot.

I've already installed XP Pro SP3 on the main partition. I wanted to install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64-bit on the other 40 GB partition.

Any known issues of running 64-bit 10.04 LTS on a laptop ?? I really want to experience 64-bit with 4 GB of RAM.

For XP to install and run, SATA has been set to "Compatbility Mode" in BIOS as XP does not work with AHCI mode.

Query 2:
--------
My older laptop crashed with a MoBo failure. The HDD itself however is OK. I removed it, put it into a USB casing and attached it to another Windows machine. I am able to access all my Windows partitions on the old hard disk.

Is the same thing possible with the Ubuntu partition as well ? If I make my new installation 64-bit (the 8.04 installation was 32-bit), can I access the data on my Ubuntu partition on the old HDD ? There are some files on the Desktop and my personal folders that I need to access and copy over to my new installation.

I (unfortunately) did not make a separate /home partition on the old installation.
The filesystem was ext3.

So the main query is if I can access the data on my old 32-bit 8.04 Ubuntu partition and whether its possible to do so from a new 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 LTS installation.

I only have a LiveCD of 7.04 Fiesty Fawn. This was the initial installation which I later upgraded to 8.04.

Looking forward to your assistance in my queries.

Thanks in advance.
Hi, Welcome:

1. no
2. yes

hell_rider
September 19th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Hakuna Matata,

Many Thanks for your clear and concise replies. Based on your response I understand :

1. I can install 10.04 LTS 64-bit happily on my laptop. It will not give any issues with SATA set to "Compatability mode" in BIOS.

2. I can access my Ubuntu 32-bit 8.04 data on my old laptop hard disk (by putting it into a USB casing) from the new Ubuntu 64-bit installation.

I have further doubts on Point 2.
=================================
1. Will this be as simple as just plugging in and accessing a removable drive ? Or are there certain additional steps I need to perform ?

2. Would there be security / ownership issues as I had not created a /Home partition in my old 8.04 installation. I was under the assumption that you could not access the /root partition of a Linux installation that easily. Was my assumption wrong ?

Thanks once again. Your help is much appreciated.

Hakunka-Matata
September 19th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Hakuna Matata,

1. I can install 10.04 LTS 64-bit happily on my laptop. It will not give any issues with SATA set to "Compatability mode" in BIOS.

I can't take ownership of the BIOS settings and SSD drive issue. i.e. I don't know.

as far as accessing a portable USB drive, it should be no problem at all, it should mount when you plug it in, and you should be able to access your data. Is it encrypted?

hell_rider
September 19th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Hakuna-Matata

Its not encrypted. I certainly did not choose any encryption options during the last install. I went with the standard ext3.

Okay. So it looks like I just need to go ahead with the new installation of 10.04 LTS and attach the old hard disk (USB) to get at the data.

One final question, though I am not sure if its appropriate here. This is more for my knowledge. Will this also work if I choose to go ahead with a new installation of Linux Mint instead of Ubuntu 10.04? What I mean to ask is, whether this access of an older Ubuntu installation on a USB HDD works because it is being accessed from another new Ubuntu installation (10.04 LTS) or is it just as easy no matter which Linux distro I am using to access the old Ubuntu installation ?

Thanks once again for your quick responses.

Hakunka-Matata
September 19th, 2011, 06:37 PM
AFAIK, linux is the keyword, I think it's so neat that one can look at anything at all on a windows hard-drive. If the larger windows community knew that, I wonder?

hell_rider
September 21st, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hakuna-matata,

All done. I attached the old HDD to a a USB casing as mentioned. It worked just fine. I could access all my files and copy them into my new system.

Many thanks for your responses and help.