PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.04 installer crashes repeatedly

gman88
September 19th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I've downloaded a couple of iso images, originally presuming that my original download was corrupt, and I keep getting an installer crash when I try to install Ubuntu 11.04. It's near the end of the install - not certain how to describe the exact spot. I am installing on a Dell GX620; it's not state-of-the-art, but it's got a reasonable specs, including 1.5 gigabyte of RAM. By the way, this is a 32-bit machine - a garden variety, older desktop. I also tried to install this on an old, MPC laptop (just to see what would happen) and it did the same thing.

I searched Google and found some similar issues with directions to unplug any peripherals (USB devices, in particular). I have absolutely nothing hooked to my computer of this type - not even a printer.

My question, of course: what's up with this....?

cornelis spronk
September 19th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I understand that the 11.04 iso download does not have a driver compatible with the Dell. I have the same problem.

However, 10.10 works very well, as does 10.04. I suggest you try one of these. Hopefully, 11.10 will work better. It will be released in a few days.

Good luck!

Quackers
September 19th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Have you checked the md5sum of the downloaded iso file?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM