PDA

View Full Version : just look at here

raja.genupula
September 19th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Hey guys its me raja .

what if we have something like a shortcut key for the code.
I mean if we are posting any output or any command , we gonna place it in between code tags , for that we are using mouse . now with mouse and as well as with keyboard also if we place then how its going be ? we are going to type and rolling the mouse, is it better or pressing a key better ?

its my idea guys , asking your opinion . What you suggest my friends ?

Phrea
September 19th, 2011, 01:16 PM
You can click http://ubuntuforums.org/images/editor/code.gif that in your reply box.

Maybe I don't quite understand you, if so, sorry.

haqking
September 19th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Hey guys its me raja .

what if we have something like a shortcut key for the code.
I mean if we are posting any output or any command , we gonna place it in between code tags , for that we are using mouse . now with mouse and as well as with keyboard also if we place then how its going be ? we are going to type and rolling the mouse, is it better or pressing a key better ?

its my idea guys , asking your opinion . What you suggest my friends ?

how does it get any easier ? you can click the # as metnioned above or type the code tags seeing as you are typing the reply box anyways ? You would then need a hortcut key for everything else such as inserting links or images or changing font colors etc etc. It can all be done with the bb code anyways.

Linux_junkie
September 19th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I think your missing the point. The OP wants to know if there is a keyboard command to insert code in to message rather than rely on the mouse.

By clicking on the # key your still using the mouse.

haqking
September 19th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I think your missing the point. The OP wants to know if there is a keyboard command to insert code in to message rather than rely on the mouse.

yeah you type the code tags http://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=bbcode

Or if he means a shortcut key combination then to be consistent one would need to exist for all the commands in the reply box.

Elfy
September 19th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I use a bbcode addon, type the message and then go and do the bbcode all in one go - so I use the keyboard, finish typing and then use the mouse.

But the OP is a little bit on the confusing side :)

If you always use Quick Reply (which I do) there's no # button :)

I use a greasemonkey script to post my "Please use code tags in your post" thing for people that forget or have no idea what they are.

GWBouge
September 19th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I've kindof wished for this before, as well as with inserting a link. I guess I'm with raja here, when I'm typing up something (especially if it's lengthy, and/or includes a bunch of separate code tags and instructions), I don't particularly like having to move a hand over to the mouse just to click one button and return to the keyboard. Many times, I'll just snag the tags to the clipboard so they're just a paste away, lol. Might have to look into that bbcode add-on =oD

You can already Ctrl+B, U, I for Bold, Underline, and Italics, but the browser and OS already use so many shortcuts, it wouldn't take much more for there to start being conflicts.

haqking
September 19th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I've kindof wished for this before, as well as with inserting a link. I guess I'm with raja here, when I'm typing up something (especially if it's lengthy, and/or includes a bunch of separate code tags and instructions), I don't particularly like having to move a hand over to the mouse just to click one button and return to the keyboard. Many times, I'll just snag the tags to the clipboard so they're just a paste away, lol. Might have to look into that bbcode add-on =oD

You can already Ctrl+B, U, I for Bold, Underline, and Italics, but the browser and OS already use so many shortcuts, it wouldn't take much more for there to start being conflicts.

but what i dont get is if you are typing away as you say why dont you type the tags ?

whiskeylover
September 19th, 2011, 06:57 PM
but what i dont get is if you are typing away as you say why dont you type the tags ?

Because the OP wants something like CTRL-B for bold, CTRL-U for underline and so on. Maybe he's looking to make CTRL-3 (for #) as a shortcut for code.

Besides the CTRL key combinations are way faster to use than typing the tags with the square brackets and everything. Just a thought.

GWBouge
September 19th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I used to type them, sometimes, but oddly enough I've found I'd rather actually use the mouse than type the tags. Not really sure why. I guess I just don't like hitting the [] keys, lol. I guess I do it kindof backwards, too, typing the code first, highlighting it, then pushing the button.

Really, I'd have more use for a URL shortcut than for code tags.

haqking
September 19th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Because the OP wants something like CTRL-B for bold, CTRL-U for underline and so on. Maybe he's looking to make CTRL-3 (for #) as a shortcut for code.

Besides the CTRL key combinations are way faster to use than typing the tags with the square brackets and everything. Just a thought.

I understand what the OP wants i guess, i just cant see it, as the code tags and bb code in general is just that, it is code, it is like what is the ctrl+key for every other bb code tag or html tag etc.

I am not saying it is a silly idea, i just dont see it being feasible without creating one for every other code tag.

raja.genupula
September 20th, 2011, 12:45 AM

yeah you got me friend

ninjaaron
September 20th, 2011, 12:52 AM
keyboard shortcut for code tags:

[ - c - o - d - e - ] ... [ - / - c - o - d - e - ]

works like a charm!