PDA

View Full Version : What's the best emailer fro you?

Costas
May 30th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Hi everybody,

i switched to Linux (Ubuntu) ~2 months ago, and i have been using Evolution for my IMAP account to handle my emails. Are there any suggestions of alternative (better) programmes?

thanx!

Costas
May 30th, 2006, 02:41 PM
....fro = for...

sorry!

TeeAhr1
May 30th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Gmail.

FISHERMAN
May 30th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Thunderbird if you don't need a complete PIM.
I've also heard good things about Sylpheed-Claws, but I haven' t tried it yet.

fuscia
May 30th, 2006, 05:00 PM
sylpheed-claws does imap4. i use sylpheed-claws for my pop3 mail. it's fast and no silly clutter. when i need to send pics, though, i use thunderbird. you might check out squirrel-mail which only does imap (and something else), but not pop.

Kernel Sanders
May 30th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Thunderbird

ShanghaiTeej
May 30th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I use Evolution (used to use Thunderbird) specifically because it is integrated into the Gnome desktop. Recently, I started using the google calendar. The cool thing about Evolution is that it can link up to my google calendar (although it can't change things to the calendar, only read it) and just click the time on the gnome-panel and see all the homework I have to accomplish that day.

polo_step
May 30th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Evolution was a real nosebleed for me in 5.04, but so were a lot of things in that release. Haven't tried it since.

I didn't like Sylpheed in either XP or Linux. It has some anoying bugs in XP at least and is not very full-featured in any case.

I have a love/hate thing with Thunderbird, mostly due to irritating defaults in the replies editor which are a nuisance to reconfigure, but it's what I use at the moment in both XP and Linux.

I'm pretty demanding of my mail clients.

Costas
May 31st, 2006, 11:27 AM
Thanx a lot guys...i think i'll try the Thunderbird and the Sylpheed as well to see how it goes.

The only problem that i can not seem to be able to solve is that whenever i change smth in my inbox/outbox... (e.g. delete an email) this email dissapears from all the pc's that i had previously seen it. I know that this is the meaning of IMAP but is there a chance that i actually download the messages on a pc and not simply "see" them on my server? i've searched for this in evolution/pegasus, etc...but i can not find it anywhere...

ubuntu_demon
May 31st, 2006, 05:26 PM
I like thunderbird because of it's spam filter. If there's another e-mail client with the same or better spam filtering capabilities let me know :)