PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Copy and paste on Lenovo (all computers?)

GammaPoint
September 19th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Hi, I just installed Xubuntu Natty Narwhal. I have a Lenovo T61 and with my previous installation (Ubuntu) I was able to highlight text (in a browser, terminal, etc.) and then press the two mouse buttons together to paste that text. However, since installing Xubuntu this no longer works.

Anyone know how to fix this? I'd be most appreciative since copy and paste is half of my computer skillset.

raja.genupula
September 19th, 2011, 10:38 AM
i think just drag and drop the text will help you on this issue .just use one key.

Copper Bezel
September 19th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Pressing the two buttons together is middle-click emulation, and the middle click pastes the current selection. I think what you actually have a problem with is the middle-click emulation itself. See here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Quirks#A2-button_Mice) to re-enable it.

GammaPoint
September 19th, 2011, 05:48 PM
i think just drag and drop the text will help you on this issue .just use one key.

Hmm, yes. Just using one key and selecting 'copy' and then 'paste' from the menu did work. A little more work than highlighting and double-clicking, but good enough for me. Thanks!

GammaPoint
September 19th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Pressing the two buttons together is middle-click emulation, and the middle click pastes the current selection. I think what you actually have a problem with is the middle-click emulation itself. See here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Quirks#A2-button_Mice) to re-enable it.

Maybe that's the problem. I'll try it tonight and see if that changes the behavior. Thanks for the suggestion!

raja.genupula
September 20th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Hmm, yes. Just using one key and selecting 'copy' and then 'paste' from the menu did work. A little more work than highlighting and double-clicking, but good enough for me. Thanks!

no man not copy and paste . select the the text and do drag and drop of it . if possible i will post a video for you .

GammaPoint
September 20th, 2011, 01:47 AM
no man not copy and paste . select the the text and do drag and drop of it . if possible i will post a video for you .

Yeah, I tried a simple "drag and drop" type motion but it's not clear that anything is being "grabbed" (and I'm not use to that behavior between different applications in other environments or OSes either). I dunno, maybe I did something wrong?

raja.genupula
September 20th, 2011, 04:12 AM
grabbing i have experienced in Google chrome , i havent tried in Firefox , in chrome you can grab the images and what ever the stuff.

Copper Bezel
September 20th, 2011, 04:26 AM
That's the thing; it's not consistent across applications. The middle-click "Unix paste" is. Let me know if that tweak I linked worked, GammaPoint. So far as I can see, middle-click emulation is deactivated by default in 11.04, so re-enabling it should restore the old functionality (without having to retrain anything.)