PDA

View Full Version : [Edu/K/X]{U/u}buntu Desktop DVD

bruce89
May 30th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Why not make a DVD which has Edubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu and Xubuntu all on one disk?

bruce89
May 30th, 2006, 03:16 PM
It wouldn't have to be a huge ISO, as they all have the same base. It would be possible to have all four, I just thought I would try a poll for fun.

bruce89
May 30th, 2006, 07:01 PM
It would be easier to choose which one you want this way, mabye a menu in GDM. Of course, a better name would have to thought of.

bruce89
May 30th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Of course the discussion is not a test.

matthinckley
May 30th, 2006, 07:19 PM
wow.. lots of replies here..

I think they should all be on the DVD with a choice in the installer so I could choose Gnome, KDE, XFCE, or Edubuntu at the beginning of the install process.. where I choose desktop or server now. That would be nice.. but not really a big deal to me.. I dont mind downloading seperate ISO's.

I heard of a DVD version that I thought was already out that had a bunch of packages out of the repos' on it. This is nice for people who don't have internet, but doesn't mean much to me. It just means I have to wait four times longer to download the ISO and then i'll have a bunch of outdated packages I can install that will all be replaced the first time I connect to the internet and to an apt-get upgrade.

But I think a single DVD with all the different versions of Ubuntu on it would be cool, especially for handing out cd's.. there should be live environments for each version as well. That way people can check out each version and decide which one they like before they installed it.