PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity and optimally running GUI application

xannen
September 19th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Upcoming Ubuntu release will not ship GNOME as default installation, and users are encouraged to use Unity or Unity2D. Unity is based on among other programming basis and platform, notably uses Qt and QML.

In alignment with Unity Desktop Qt and QML technology, and to run applications in a more streamline manner, should user choose to application with Qt interface as oppose to GNOME/GTK or KDE interface? Having said that, it appears that many applications are still based on GNOME and KDE, and presuming that Unity is adopted in the future, would it be reasonable to see more application use Qt-related technologies?

Clearly, it is understood that current and generally GNOME / KDE application can still operate in Unity, but the question is on optimal and streamline GUI application running in Unity. I apologise if my question is not well phrase or if I have misconception. Clarification would be appreciated.

Edit: Typographical error in Thread Title

Copper Bezel
September 19th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Unity's designed for the Gnome (2 and 3) desktop environments. It's not written using the GTK toolkit, but it doesn't drag in any KDE-related Qt libraries, either.

Krytarik
September 19th, 2011, 06:00 AM
May I ask why you filed this under "[lubuntu]", which is yet another DE to mix with!?

Anyway, you might want to have a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_%28user_interface%29

Specifically at the section "Unity vs. Unity 2D", the latter of which you might be referring to with QT/QML.

However, even in that case there is - per se - no need to prefer one or another framework reg. applications, as Unity is basically just a launcher, host for indicators/tray icons, and intermediary to the window manager. But, well, as it is built for Gnome, you might end up preferring GTK+ based apps, or at least no QT based apps.

Greetings.

xannen
September 19th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Apologies for misappropriate tagging on the thread, the intended tag should be "Ubuntu". Could an administrator please make the change? I cannot make the edit for this change.

Krytarik
September 19th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Apologies for misappropriate tagging on the thread, the intended tag should be "Ubuntu". Could an administrator please make the change? I cannot make the edit for this change.
You can click on "Report abuse" left beneath a post and request the mods to do this.