PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] hp g7-1070us USB woes

i3lkpeter
September 19th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Have an HP g7-1070us lappy running 11.04 64 bit (Ubuntu classic/not Unity).

have a wired optical mouse connected to the single right-hand USB port that has been rock-solid.

Here's where I am having issues: have 4 usb external drives connected to usb> either of the 2 left-hand usb ports. Been having intermittent problems keeping the drives mounted. By intermittent I mean they sometimes stay mounted for a day or 2 when running bit torrents. Sometimes they stay mounted for a few hours, sometimes only a few minutes after boot up.

I can't consistently replicate the problem *except* for this: when I connect my i-pod USB cable (i-pod connected) to either the usb hub or the 2/2 of the left hand usb ports on the lappy itself.

Frequently, but not always, have same issue when connecting my multi-format flash memory reader.

I do not have any of these issues with any of the external usb devices on my old Lenovo t-60 running 11.04 32 bit (also in classic) so I think I can eliminate it being a hardware problem with the external devices. Also want to add I have no problems running any of the devices off the right-hand USB on the HP.

Help! This is driving me nuts. I have quite a few usb devices and doing the cable swap/reboot is getting really old.

i3lkpeter
September 19th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Forgot to mention: the 2 usb ports on the left-hand side refuse to see *any* usb device after the intermittent unmount until reboot...