PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problem installing from local repository

abhi45
September 18th, 2011, 07:25 PM
i recently borrowed a portable disk from my friend with an enitre repository of ubuntu 10.10 packages and copied it to my /home/xyz directory.
the directory structure of the mirror is
/ubuntu_mirror_10.10
--/dists
-/maverick -/maverick-backports -/maverick-security -/maverick-updates
--/pool
-/main -/multiverse -/restricted -/universe

Unfortunately there was not enough space in the "/"(filesystem), so i copied /ubuntu_mirror_1010/pool/main (just the /main directory)into another media --> /media/local/ from the portable disk and the rest in /home/xyz/
and added a symbolic link to '/media/local/main' in directory "/home/xyz/ubuntu_mirror_1010/pool "

Now to install packages from this local mirror i modified the sources.list to contain following additional uri
deb file:///home/xyz/ubuntu_mirror_1010/ maverick main multiverse universe resticted
deb file:///home/xyz/ubuntu_mirror_1010/ maverick-backports main multiverse universe resticted
deb file:///home/xyz/ubuntu_mirror_1010/ maverick-security main multiverse universe resticted
deb file:///home/xyz/ubuntu_mirror_1010/ maverick-updates main multiverse universe resticted

After executing the sudo apt-get update command i tried to install gimp using sudo apt-get install gimp
but it showed the following errror
E: Couldn't find package gimp
Is this the problem because of the symbolic link of /main ??
please give me a solution
thx

abhi45
September 19th, 2011, 04:50 AM
still waiting for a solution :-\":-\"

Hakunka-Matata
September 19th, 2011, 05:20 AM
i recently borrowed a portable disk from my friend with an enitre repository of ubuntu 10.10 packages and copied it to my /home/xyz directory.
the directory structure of the mirror is
/ubuntu_mirror_10.10
--/dists
-/maverick -/maverick-backports -/maverick-security -/maverick-updates
--/pool
-/main -/multiverse -/restricted -/universe

Unfortunately there was not enough space in the "/"(filesystem), so i copied /ubuntu_mirror_1010/pool/main (just the /main directory)into another media --> /media/local/ from the portable disk and the rest in /home/xyz/
and added a symbolic link to '/media/local/main' in directory "/home/xyz/ubuntu_mirror_1010/pool "

Now to install packages from this local mirror i modified the sources.list to contain following additional uri
deb file:///home/xyz/ubuntu_mirror_1010/ maverick main multiverse universe resticted
deb file:///home/xyz/ubuntu_mirror_1010/ maverick-backports main multiverse universe resticted
deb file:///home/xyz/ubuntu_mirror_1010/ maverick-security main multiverse universe resticted
deb file:///home/xyz/ubuntu_mirror_1010/ maverick-updates main multiverse universe resticted

After executing the sudo apt-get update command i tried to install gimp using sudo apt-get install gimp
but it showed the following errror
E: Couldn't find package gimp
Is this the problem because of the symbolic link of /main ??
please give me a solution
thx

do those misspellings matter?

raja.genupula
September 19th, 2011, 09:56 AM
+1
yeah i think , thats the issue .
man this link have very useful information for you
just make a look at that

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=20217

all the best

abhi45