PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reading System Log Viewer

PayPaul
September 18th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I'm searching for the record of my boot errors and trying parse through the kernel log. I find a number of hardware errors that seem to point to it and the inclusion of the phrase I saw on booting to Ubuntu: "giving up". Should I post the entire kernel log record here? it's mighty long and while I can make some sense of it there's a funny feeling in my mind that there must be some division of events going on. Is there an efficient way of interpreting it and finding the pertinent entries without going through them all. Using a find function I was able to find the hardware error messages and the "Giving up" phrase yet I'm trying to draw a direct connection between the booting problem where it failed to find the root drive several times and the entries in the kernel log. BTW I couldn't find the same information when I went to the boot, bootstrap or boot.log entries.

I have been able to boot to Ubuntu using the Exit command which is a grand improvement over ******* and its non responsive behavior.