PDA

View Full Version : Russia asked to invest in ReactOS

cgroza
September 18th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I found this article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14899507
I am really curious about the impact this investment.

Erik1984
September 18th, 2011, 02:43 PM
It's not certain they will invest in ReactOS:

"And Mr Medvedev replied that he'll think about it, adding that the project was indeed very interesting."

Shpongle
September 18th, 2011, 02:44 PM
it says "asked" to fund.

Lucradia
September 18th, 2011, 02:56 PM
At least it's a from-scratch alternative to windows. It's different coding style, so it won't have the same exact viruses as windows, but it will in time to come :V

It uses mainly C and whatnot. I like that project a lot. Hope it becomes more popular.

Also, It's 1,367,180.45 USD from £865,578.

If 1140 People donated 100 USD a month to ReactOS, they would reach their funding goal in 12 months.

Equation: 1,367,180 / (100 * 1140)

Paqman
September 18th, 2011, 03:07 PM
"And Mr Medvedev replied that he'll think about it, adding that the project was indeed very interesting."

Which is politician-speak for: "Please stop talking to me."

Lucradia
September 18th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Which is politician-speak (and parental) for: "Please stop talking to me."

Fixed.

debd
September 18th, 2011, 04:26 PM
downloading the live version.. interesting :)

Warpnow
September 18th, 2011, 04:42 PM
At least it's a from-scratch alternative to windows. It's different coding style, so it won't have the same exact viruses as windows, but it will in time to come :V

It uses mainly C and whatnot. I like that project a lot. Hope it becomes more popular.

Also, It's 1,367,180.45 USD from £865,578.

If 1140 People donated 100 USD a month to ReactOS, they would reach their funding goal in 12 months.

100 USD a month is a ton of money.

debd
September 18th, 2011, 05:12 PM
screenshots :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21195653/Screenshot-7.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21195653/Screenshot-8.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21195653/Screenshot-9.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21195653/Screenshot-10.png

NightwishFan
September 18th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I could not afford 20 a month. I like ReactOS, but I am sorry to say I would have little interest in donating, I would probably help Debian or Haiku instead.

It IS fast though, it feels like Windows NT4 without all the slow graphics.

Lucradia
September 18th, 2011, 05:23 PM
It IS fast though, it feels like Windows NT4 without all the slow graphics.

Shoulda been around a year or so ago. The GUI was completely laggy and slow, programs took a long time to open. Also, it would say on memory usage: 473827598426592 / 4 GB Used.

NightwishFan
September 18th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I did try it a year ago, in virtualbox. Never noticed much slowness, just not much use in it.

del_diablo
September 18th, 2011, 05:28 PM
What "Russia" idea is basically:
1. Get ReactOS to the point where it can handle the special software
2. Move from Windows 98/NT/XP to ReactOS
3. Enjoy security updates, and not having to upgrade hardware.
4. Keep on using ReactOS on all legacy stuff

Now.... what the politicans say and mean is unrelated to this....

kaldor
September 18th, 2011, 10:04 PM
ReactOS is a lost cause. It's nearly as old as the Linux kernel, yet it hasn't even left Alpha stage. No amount of funding will progress it.

If Russia were to invest in a non-Windows OS, they should hire some people to fork RHEL or something.

JDShu
September 18th, 2011, 10:19 PM
It's a toy project for people interested in a certain operating system architecture. There is no practical use or need for it. There's no incentive for anybody to invest in it.

Quadunit404
September 18th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Ya know, maybe it'll run more than three Windows applications without requiring the planets to align correctly now :lolflag:

forrestcupp
September 19th, 2011, 01:14 AM

Or, I could pay $100 once and get the real Windows that works properly and doesn't have a UI that looks like it's 15 years old.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
September 19th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Or, I could pay $100 once and get the real Windows that works properly and doesn't have a UI that looks like it's 15 years old.

Where is the like button on here? I'd rather see developments in real viable alternatives than a remake of an OS that already works fine in it's own right.

JDShu
September 19th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Where is the like button on here? I'd rather see developments in real viable alternatives than a remake of an OS that already works fine in it's own right.

While I agree that it seems like a pointless porject, hobbyist developers work on whatever they want to work on because it interests them. The ReactOS developers in particular probably just enjoy the technical aspects of Windows NT systems, and want the legacy to live on. Even if we think it's a bad idea, who are we to say what people should do in their own spare time?

Lucradia
September 19th, 2011, 02:50 PM
It's a toy project for people interested in a certain operating system architecture. There is no practical use or need for it. There's no incentive for anybody to invest in it.

Once it is mostly complete and nearly [major] bug-free, ReactOS will be easy to update to higher code bases and better windows methods. There's a lot of reason to invest in it.

Plus, wine contributes to ReactOS, and ReactOS contributes to Wine. Also, Wine can't install windows drivers, for exa: Lexmark drivers. ReactOS, however, can.

NCLI
September 19th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Actually, the Russian government has expressed interest in this kind of thing before, so it wouldn't surprise me if they went ahead and did it.

3rdalbum
September 19th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Once it is mostly complete

It will never be complete. A new version of Windows would come out and ReactOS would need major work to support the programs being written for the new Windows.

Remember, ten years from now Windows 8 will be regarded as a "legacy" operating system and people will be trying to migrate away from it.

davidvandoren
September 19th, 2011, 04:56 PM
ReactOS hasn't made any progress the past 10 years.

It is very unstable and doesn't have much drivers.

It'll be much easier to just invest some cash into wine and bring it to a state where you could run all the windows programs flawlessly.

Lucradia
September 19th, 2011, 09:45 PM
It is very unstable and doesn't have much drivers.

The developers have said, and will always say:

"Windows is so big in size due to all of its drivers and cabinents that have compatibility fixes and whatnot for hardware you add. ReactOS will not have drivers pre-installed for you, but will have basic drivers to allow for network activity, VGA and keyboard/mouse input."

You can always get the drivers from the Internet. That's what I always did, and have been doing since I started Windows back in the late 90s. Before then, it was MacOS 7-9, still used floppy disks to carry drivers for my SyQuest drive, which had more drivers and programs to install.

They have had leaps and bounds in their ECHI / AHCI / other power management stuff and USB in te past year or so.

KiwiNZ
September 19th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Why invest in a historical curiosity?

forrestcupp
September 20th, 2011, 08:58 PM
The ReactOS developers in particular probably just enjoy the technical aspects of Windows NT systems, and want the legacy to live on.No. When they began the project, Windows NT was still relevant. But they're still working on an NT/XP clone; meanwhile, Microsoft has left them in the dust.

Also, Wine can't install windows drivers, for exa: Lexmark drivers. ReactOS, however, can.

But the point of Wine is that you can run Windows software in Linux. ReactOS is a completely separate OS that you have to boot to that doesn't support Linux software. The Windows that came on my computer can run Windows drivers pretty well, too.

ReactOS is an awesome concept, but it's like a turtle chasing a rabbit.

BrokenKingpin
September 21st, 2011, 07:01 PM
I don't see the project getting to a stable point, and by the time they do it will only be compatible with Windows XP, so it is completely useless. Microsoft will always be years (if not decades) ahead of where ReactOS is, so you will never get that complete compatibility with Windows.

You are a lot better off just switching to Linux and using the alternative applications... or for the few Windows applications that are essential run them out of Wine.

ReactOS is a cool project, but it is completely useless.

Lucradia
September 22nd, 2011, 12:21 AM
I don't see the project getting to a stable point, and by the time they do it will only be compatible with Windows XP

It's already compatible with Vista's NT version. It has been for more than a year.