PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome runs despite Unity being supported

jakepc123
September 18th, 2011, 01:42 PM
For some reason on my laptop when I first boot up it automatically uses Gnome rather than Unity. I do however know that my laptop supports Unity because if I log out and then log back in it correctly loads Unity and works perfectly.

I don't understand why it would be doing this so any help would be great thanks.

Krytarik
September 18th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Try forcing it to load Unity:

http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/05/force-unity-compiz-to-run-natty-narwhal.html

Hope it works!

jakepc123
September 18th, 2011, 02:04 PM
No, that didn't help the problem it still seems to be booting into Gnome. :-(

Krytarik
September 18th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Please post the output of:

ls -al /var/cache/gdm/USERNAME/dmrc

jakepc123
September 18th, 2011, 04:16 PM
-rw-r--r-- 1 jake jake 73 2011-09-18 14:00 /var/cache/gdm/jake/dmrc

Please post the output of:

ls -al /var/cache/gdm/USERNAME/dmrc

Krytarik
September 18th, 2011, 04:58 PM
-rw-r--r-- 1 jake jake 73 2011-09-18 14:00 /var/cache/gdm/jake/dmrc

The permissions are fine here, so not many more things that come into question:

- Check this file and the file ".dmrc" in your home directory for differences, they should be the same, and the entry for "Session" should be "gnome".

- Make sure the default session in the "Login Screen" settings is set to "Ubuntu", though I don't think that this still has any effect on your user.

jakepc123
September 19th, 2011, 04:32 PM
No that all seems fine.
I may just have to live with it until 11.10 and see if that sorts it.

Thanks anyway for all your help.

fjgaude
September 19th, 2011, 10:13 PM
For some reason on my laptop when I first boot up it automatically uses Gnome rather than Unity. I do however know that my laptop supports Unity because if I log out and then log back in it correctly loads Unity and works perfectly.

I don't understand why it would be doing this so any help would be great thanks.

When you log out is there not an option to select the GUI you are to use?

I'll have to see what it is by going back to 11.04. I'll let you know what I find.

LATER: When I log out at the bottom of the display after clicking on who is to log in are options. I can chose gnome, unity, and others. What you are saying that your selection of unity doesn't stick on reboot?

Blasphemist
September 19th, 2011, 10:39 PM
It sounds to me like auto login is being used and that the default session is not set to Ubuntu. Go to system settings, login screen and change the default session to Ubuntu. You can also turn off auto login but that isn't necessary.

jakepc123
September 21st, 2011, 07:46 PM
fjgaude
Thats what I thought but it says "Ubuntu" (not ubuntu classic) even just before it boots into Gnome.

Blasphemist
I have gone and checked and again there it says "Ubuntu"