PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy s2 phone sd card format

The Cog
September 18th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I just bought a Galaxy s2 phone. I'd like to add an SD card to increase its memory (there's a micro-SD slot under the battery). Does anyone know how I should format the SD card? FAT/NTFS/ext2 etc?

Thanks.

NCLI
September 18th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I just bought a Galaxy s2 phone. I'd like to add an SD card to increase its memory (there's a micro-SD slot under the battery). Does anyone know how I should format the SD card? FAT/NTFS/ext2 etc?

Thanks.

fat32 I believe. Though I think the phone can take care of it on its own.

matchett808
September 18th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Hi, it should be FAT me thinks, my atrix is FAT - think its normal for android phones?

Give it a try, or put the SD card in the phone and go to settings > SD Card & phone storage, scroll down to the sd card feild, unmount, then format...

quick edit to fix the name of the menus!

The Cog
September 18th, 2011, 11:55 AM
That was quick! Thank you, I'll try FAT32 then.
Cheers.

psrdotcom
September 18th, 2011, 12:36 PM
After inserting the memory card into phone .. Go to settings and format the card in phone itself ..

koleoptero
September 18th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I doubt you'll have to format the card.

aysiu
September 18th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I doubt you'll have to format the card.
This is correct. The card will likely come formatted as FAT32 or FAT16 already.

The Cog
September 18th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Fat32 worked nicely, thanks.

To use the USB connectivity to access the files on the phone from Ubuntu, you have to enable USB debugging on the phone first. (Under Settings -> Applications - Development).

Having connected the cable, pull down the status panel from the top and tap the USB Connected message. Then tap the Connect USB Storage button.

aysiu
September 18th, 2011, 07:44 PM
That's odd. I don't have a Galaxy S2, but I've had two Android phones (MyTouch 3G and MyTouch 4G) and have never had to enable USB debugging to get Ubuntu to recognize it.

The Cog
September 18th, 2011, 08:16 PM
If you don't enable debugging, as soon as you plug the USB lead in, something called "Samsung Kies" takes over. Apparently, it only talks to a windows-only custom client. I read it on the internet, so it must be true. Apart from which, without debugging enabled, Kies grabs the phone GUI and won't let you do anything (and no USB drives appear in thunar).

aysiu
September 18th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Ah! Both my Android phones were HTC, so no Samsung custom software.

NCLI
September 19th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I can confirm that Samsung's custom android build sucks hard... If you feel like it, install Cyanogenmod 7 :)