PDA

View Full Version : Final fantasy clones?

Zeta-K
September 17th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Anyone know any good open source, offline, turn-based rpgs? I've recently beaten every Final Fantasy up to 10 and still want more.

galacticaboy
September 17th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Anyone know any good open source, offline, turn-based rpgs? I've recently beaten every Final Fantasy up to 10 and still want more.

If you are looking for Emulators, install Zsnes from Synaptic, it is a SNES emulator and then try out Legend of Zelda: A link to the past, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, and Legend of Mana. All are great games, as for open source, I think there is one called The Mana World, but it is not offline. I am not sure of offline, there are not to many for Linux.

Zeta-K
September 17th, 2011, 04:21 PM
If you are looking for Emulators, install Zsnes from Synaptic, it is a SNES emulator and then try out Legend of Zelda: A link to the past, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, and Legend of Mana. All are great games, as for open source, I think there is one called The Mana World, but it is not offline. I am not sure of offline, there are not to many for Linux.
Haha, I've played all of those! No, I'm not looking for an emulator, I'm looking for a native game.

ninjaaron
September 17th, 2011, 05:08 PM
There are a few turn-based RPG's in the software center, both free and pay. I've messed with a couple of them, never held my interest for long enough to keep going. They mostly have sprite-based graphics, but that's A-OK with me.

Wesnoth, on the other hand, is fantastic, which, if you haven't already played it, is a turn-based strategy game with heavy RPG elements, a bit like FF Tactics and Ogre Battle. I love it. You can sort of tell that the stories were written by programmers, but it sort of adds to the charm, in a way. It definitely won't bring you to tears, like FF can at times.

Majorix
September 17th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I am not sure if it is OSS but it is free to download and play. First Fantasy (http://www.indiedb.com/games/first-fantasy-a-satirical-role-playing-game) is a decent clone, but more like a parody. Being a Final Fantasy fan you might want to check it.

Lucradia
September 17th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I am not sure if it is OSS but it is free to download and play. First Fantasy (http://www.indiedb.com/games/first-fantasy-a-satirical-role-playing-game) is a decent clone, but more like a parody. Being a Final Fantasy fan you might want to check it.

It's not OSS. You cannot run the game on Linux, as it uses RPG Maker's RTP. RPG Maker RTP Cannot run in Wine. RTP Means it isn't "Native" either, has to use a runtime.

Majorix
September 17th, 2011, 07:45 PM
It's not OSS. You cannot run the game on Linux, as it uses RPG Maker's RTP. RPG Maker RTP Cannot run in Wine. RTP Means it isn't "Native" either, has to use a runtime.

I too guess it is not open source. But the OP did not say "Linux only" so I mentioned it.

Allavona
September 17th, 2011, 09:28 PM
You beat all the Final Fantasy's up to 10? Give FF 10.2, 12, and 13 a spin. Early 2012 get 13.2!

Wesnoth (+1) was mentioned. As Linux games go, this is pretty top-notch.

Majorix
September 17th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Give FF 10.2, 12, and 13 a spin. Early 2012 get 13.2!
They aren't "clones" :p