PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black areas in top panel

wurlyfan
September 17th, 2011, 03:06 AM
Hello all, I'd appreciate some ideas on this problem.

I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04, after installing an 256MB ASUS 7600GS video card. After some initial problems everything seems to be working well except for one small thing - occasionally I see small black rectangles in the top panel (see attached picture). After a while they disappear, presumably when the screen gets refreshed.

Obviously I'm not using the Unity desktop (maybe one day!) and this little problem doesn't have any serious consequences, but hey! I like Ubuntu and I want it to look proper!

Thanks for reading my post :p

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 17th, 2011, 03:42 PM
The one on the left looks like the System Monitor indicator. Did you try to add the System Monitor indicator to the panel? Next time they appear try to right click one to see if you get the option About. If you get the About option then select About to determine what it is.

I'm thinking that you may have had an indicator in the panel when you had 10.10. When you upgraded to 11.04 there was a problem and the indicator wasn't handled properly.

wurlyfan
September 18th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the reply. Actually I have had to reinstall 11.04 as I couldn't restore grub2 after reinstalling my Windows OS (despite following the documented procedures carefully)! I had purposely backed up my Linux fs immediately beforehand, however, so I have got it back again now. The panel problem hasn't cropped up again (yet), but I will try your suggestion if/when it does.