PDA

View Full Version : Help on class speech on why should we use ubuntu

suxenexus
September 17th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Hi! I'm going to make a speech on why we should use Linux (like Ubuntu)rather than windows. So far, I've come up with the three key terms-- Free, adaptive, and responsive. It's only a 4 minute presentation So I think I'll be needing all the help I can get.

Thanks guys!

haqking
September 17th, 2011, 02:17 AM
Hi! I'm going to make a speech on why we should use Linux (like Ubuntu)rather than windows. So far, I've come up with the three key terms-- Free, adaptive, and responsive. It's only a 4 minute presentation So I think I'll be needing all the help I can get.

Thanks guys!

Do a quick 4 minute presentation of spinning the Desktop cube with multiple windows open ;-)

cgroza
September 17th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Make sure you make it free as in freedom or otherwise people will think it's cheap or something similar.
Present the ideology behind it.

haqking
September 17th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Make sure you make it free as in freedom or otherwise people will think it's cheap or something similar.
Present the ideology behind it.

Well make sure you define the difference between free as in freedom and free as in $$$

and the difference between open source and proprietary.

those 2 topics should take 4 mins and your done, and people will still want to use windows or macosx...cos thats how people roll ;-)

At end of day use what works for you and gives you the least drama

_d_
September 17th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Do a quick 4 minute presentation of spinning the Desktop cube with multiple windows open ;-)

And to dazzle them even more, throw in a few mouse effects.

Jennyplayswu
September 17th, 2011, 02:57 AM
watch documentary Revolution OS
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7707585592627775409

quick way to get some history of open source

suxenexus
September 17th, 2011, 03:05 AM
And to dazzle them even more, throw in a few mouse effects.

I think that won't happen considering I'll showcase 11.10 beta running on gnome 3/unity.

I was planning on demonstrating how quickly it boots, the common programs needed in the workplace as well as the lean learning curve for the interface, and maybe throw in one of the old white papers on the use of Ubuntu in some prominent universities. :)

LowSky
September 17th, 2011, 03:05 AM
To most people Widows is free, and explaining open source can last longer than 4 minutes. Not really a good selling point for Linux. Actually the points you gave all can be said about Windows.

Why not sell it. Show the CD, then show them that 700MB gives them a OS, media player, office suite, a built in software store with a lot of free stuff, and so on. Then pass out free CD, label them, "Ubuntu: Try Something Different"

Blasphemist
September 17th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Here is a site I got clued into today on G+ by one of the canonical people. http://spreadubuntu.org/ There are even presentations, handouts, flyers and much more that you could use and make this an A for sure.

suxenexus
September 17th, 2011, 03:26 AM
To most people Widows is free, and explaining open source can last longer than 4 minutes. Not really a good selling point for Linux. Actually the points you gave all can be said about Windows.

Why not sell it. Show the CD, then show them that 700MB gives them a OS, media player, office suite, a built in software store with a lot of free stuff, and so on. Then pass out free CD, label them, "Ubuntu: Try Something Different"

Maybe I'll give them a download link. Cds don't come cheap here. :(

Here is a site I got clued into today on G+ by one of the canonical people. http://spreadubuntu.org/ There are even presentations, handouts, flyers and much more that you could use and make this an A for sure.

I'll check this one out. Thanks guys!

I think the site don't have enough info to squeeze in the presentation. Maybe I'll post my own designs here after I made my report. :)

PS: Is there I way I can get hold of the current packaging design for Oneiric? :)

ubudog
September 17th, 2011, 03:30 PM

Awesome idea! Here's a screenshot of this in my cube, an example.

Really customizable.

haqking
September 17th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Awesome idea! Here's a screenshot of this in my cube, an example.

Really customizable.

Back at ya ;-)

I envisage an off topic Cube display coming up now...LOL

ubudog
September 17th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Back at ya ;-)

I envisage an off topic Cube display coming up now...LOL

Nice! Lol maybe we should make a new thread?

haqking
September 17th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Nice! Lol maybe we should make a new thread?

ha im sure there is one here archived somewhere....it still annoys me everytime i use my cube that i cant have a bottom cap though:sad:

Megaptera
September 17th, 2011, 05:02 PM

Thanks for that link - bookmarked for the future!