PDA

View Full Version : Precise release date and link for Dapper

Zdravko
May 30th, 2006, 08:30 AM
I heard, that Dapper will be officialy released at June 1st. But at what time exactly? And where is the link for the expected torrent download? Why don't you place some kind of counter in the site - so that everybody can count the hours until Dapper is released?

TrendyDark
May 30th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I'm hoping that it's just the normal download page on Ubuntu.com (http://www.ubuntu.com/download), but I'm sure they're going to give out a torrent link and mirriors as well, the servers will probably be swamped that day.

Zdravko
May 30th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Ok, I guess that there will be some fireworks for the event? :)
I hope that the Ubuntu servers will manage the huge amount of traffic.

papangul
May 30th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Just after release, there are many more leechers than seeders in the torrent channel, (I had bitter experience downloading flight/beta cds via torrent, just after release) so downloading via bittorent fresh after release is not good idea.

The official servers are amazingly powerful, and may stand the slashdot effect just after release. More importantly, within a couple of hours after release , unofficial mirrors are expected to be put up, after that there will be no problem, hopefully.

If I had to download dapper, I would wait a day or two and then would have used bittorrent/mirrors for the purpose.

hesee
May 30th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Just after release, there are many more leechers than seeders in the torrent channel, (I had bitter experience downloading flight/beta cds via torrent, just after release) so downloading via bittorent fresh after release is not good idea.

The official servers are amazingly powerful, and may stand the slashdot effect just after release. More importantly, within a couple of hours after release , unofficial mirrors are expected to be put up, after that there will be no problem, hopefully.

If I had to download dapper, I would wait a day or two and then would have used bittorrent/mirrors for the purpose.

I have extra bandwidth, so i'm probably gonna take the torrent anyway, and seed it for a while.

Engnome
May 30th, 2006, 12:37 PM

I can only imagine the seeder/leecher ratio after realese, wonder how many official servers will participate in the seeding. They be better be in super-seed mode. Hopefully the release of dapper will be a great example of how lots of data will be distrubeted to thousands of people at a rate MS can't even begin to imagine.

rado_london
May 30th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I pray for good speed. My direct one is 300KB/sec. Is torrent faster than that?

richbarna
May 30th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I heard, that Dapper will be officialy released at June 1st. But at what time exactly? And where is the link for the expected torrent download? Why don't you place some kind of counter in the site - so that everybody can count the hours until Dapper is released?

Look at my sig, Leads to a download and install guide from aysiu's website psychocats.net.

SeanTater
May 30th, 2006, 01:35 PM
I pray for good speed. My direct one is 300KB/sec. Is torrent faster than that?

When there is a good seed/leech ratio -- it can max out my internet connection, and even surpass the theoretical speed limit on the throughput of my link -- at 616-657 kb/s (theoretical speed limit = 600kb/s) I'd love to know how I could get a upload speed like the people that usually seed! :)