PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Asus 1000HE netbook (sound problem returns!)

retrotronic
September 16th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Hello

I'm new here. First post to the forum. Hello all ):P

I'm new to Ubuntu. Currently I am running on Ubuntu 11.04 Natty (32 bit) on Asus EEE PC 1000HE (duel booting XP and Ubuntu).

Problem I have is:

Disappearing sound on my Asus EEE PC 1000HE netbook. Everytime I do a fresh install, a day later the sound disappears (haven't even installed anything so don't see how I broke anything with the sound disappearing!). It's almost as if Ubuntu has a mind of it's own!

A look at other posts regarding this particular netbook is that Ubuntu seems to have a sound issue with Asus 1000HE series netbooks. I've trawled through a few posts from people who have this problem, and I don't know which way to turn to fix the problem... Considering this bug has been around since this netbook has been out (which is about 3 years I would guess?) I'm surprised it still shows it's ugly head again in Ubuntu 11.04 Natty :-(

If anybody can please tell me how to fix this disappearing sound issue I would be greatful. Sound is unmuted, volume is at max, but no sound (it disappears after a while and I can't get it back!). Have so far installed Ubuntu 11.04 five times, and everytime the sound disappears after a day or so.

I need a quick, simple fix for this. I'm a Ubuntu beginner, so need clear instructions on how to fix this bug. I'm hoping to stick with Ubuntu, providing I can find a fix for this sound issue!

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to a reply to my query :D

retrotronic
September 17th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Edit: Thought I had sorted this issue. Sound still comes and goes...

Upon studying a simular thread, it is linked to a problem when booting XP, then booting Ubuntu (and not powering down in between) - sound works fine under XP, but then when launching Ubuntu (warm boot after previously running Win XP), the sound in Ubuntu disappears. It's as if XP does something to the sound hardware because when warm booting from XP and booting Ubuntu from Grub, the sound disappears under Ubuntu.

If however I start Ubuntu from cold boot (turning the machine on and booting XP first), the sound problem disappears, and I get sound.

We need to find out now what XP does to the sound hardware when warm booting into Ubuntu that causes the sound not to work. As cold booting into Ubuntu first does not cause this sound problem. If anyone has any ideas, let me know as I'll be happy to beta test a patch to fix this problem if their are any coders out their who want to fix this bug.