PDA

View Full Version : Sony Asks Gamers To Waive Rights

johnnybgoode83
September 16th, 2011, 07:17 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14948701
I was wondering what people thought of Sony's changes to their T&C that says they would ban people who didn't accept the waiver. Is it even legal for them to do this?

Dr. C
September 16th, 2011, 08:19 PM
It depends a lot on the jurisdiction, whether these kinds of terms are even enforceable. I can see SONY running afoul of privacy laws and consumer protection laws in many jurisdictions.

My suggestion is to contact the Privacy Commissioner or equivalent office in your jurisdiction .

LowSky
September 16th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I "agreed" to their new ToS, and by I clicked on the answer that let me use Netflix. Actually I rather sue Anonymous over Sony. It wasn't Sony's fault in my eyes. It was group of people who use some made up agenda to make themselves feel superior. Sure I was angry on how long it took Sony to fix the problem but it is like suing a bank because some guy robbed it.

mmsmc
September 16th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I "agreed" to their new ToS, and by I clicked on the answer that let me use Netflix. Actually I rather sue Anonymous over Sony. It wasn't Sony's fault in my eyes. It was group of people who use some made up agenda to make themselves feel superior. Sure I was angry on how long it took Sony to fix the problem but it is like suing a bank because some guy robbed it.
anonymous is a good group, they are the revolution we need, to bring back the true meaning of freedom, America is full of corruption, chaos, and dare i say is run basically by a dictatorship. we need a revolution and i personally cant wait for it to happen

johnnybgoode83
September 16th, 2011, 08:41 PM
anonymous is a good group, they are the revolution we need, to bring back the true meaning of freedom, America is full of corruption, chaos, and dare i say is run basically by a dictatorship. we need a revolution and i personally cant wait for it to happen

Corruption will never end because it is human nature that we are corruptable. When one corrupt individual is taken down another will step in.

mmsmc
September 16th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Corruption will never end because it is human nature that we are corruptable. When one corrupt individual is taken down another will step in.
i cant agree more with you, but we can never stop fighting it

johnnybgoode83
September 16th, 2011, 08:46 PM
i cant agree more with you, but we can never stop fighting it

Very true. It's just demoralising being stuck in a never ending cycle of corruption

NightwishFan
September 16th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Very true. It's just demoralising being stuck in a never ending cycle of corruption

Off topic but do not be demoralized; Just realize that (even you) will not be able to be perfect but you can fight your own hypocrisy as much as you can and always be honest. That is the way to fight corruption. :)

LowSky
September 16th, 2011, 09:39 PM

There is nothing good about a group that steals private information and then releases it into the wild, especially when that data is normal people's credit card information.

I have never been a fan of bullies, and that is what the people of Anonymous are.

sanderd17
September 17th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Be prepared for their next action: http://www.geekosystem.com/anon-to-launch-new-weapon/

Sorry, here you can't have anything against them. They aren't stealing from normal people.

ki4jgt
September 17th, 2011, 09:11 AM

Without getting into the politics of the situation (this only regards Anonymous) The name Anonymous was flawed from the time it crossed over from Church of Scientology protesters to internet crime sindicate. This is why. They make claims stating that they do it all for US. Yet, they have not consulted a single one of us. They claim that they are merely doing what happened in the civil rights movement. The teenagers involved in the civil rights movement showed EVERYONE who they were. The only people in the civil rights movement who didn't show who they were, was the individuals who were treating the ones who exposed themselves so bad. Making a stand isn't about what needs to happen as much as it's about you telling the world that you believe it needs to happen. Anonymous can never do that b/c they can't put a name to their faces and straightly confess what they believe.
Don't get me wrong, there are good members of Anonymous. That's how it started. The KKK was originally a social club for ALL people. But what it became and what Anonymous has become is a hidden excuse for dictatorship. I agree. Every country could use a little fixing up, but unless you have a cause which is life or death, taking upon yourself the power that anonymous has and then not holding yourself accountable for it, is just as bad as what Hitler himself did. Mind you circumstances change when life threatening issues are involved. The problem is that Anonymous can be anyone and any cause. This is what makes anonymous so dangerous. In old days (and in the present) the name anonymous was just to protect the free exchange of ideas. Now certain sects of Anonymous have taken that name and took a great big crap on the freedoms it's offered. They've taken it from free exchange of ideas, to the right to do what ever they want when ever they want and not having an intermediary to judge whether the cause is justified or not.

Erik1984
September 17th, 2011, 09:29 AM
LOL, sounds like:

We didn't really improve our security or at least are not so confident about our recent security measures. Therefore we ask you to please not sue us in case some bad guys (not being SONY) steals your credit card number again OK?

Dr. C
September 18th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I doubt the mandatory arbitration clause would be enforceable in Canada's four largest provinces: Ontario, Quebec, British Columbia and Alberta. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/03/18/bc-supreme-ruling-telus-class-action.html

mmsmc
September 19th, 2011, 01:49 AM
no matter how any body thinks of this there are two things that are going to happen, either the nothing, or there will be a revolution(in which this is just the beginning. either way the world will keep turning, I and many others believe there will be and that it is necessary to have a revolution in order to live in the America we believe in. I do believe in freedom, but the America we now live in is not free, it is a big monopoly and if we continue like this there I am nearly 100% sure that there will be a bad ending. what ever happens hope for the best and plan for the worst

ki4jgt
September 19th, 2011, 04:29 AM
My response to this would violate the ToS. Initially, I went through each of the statements on the Anonymous image and disproved how any group of people could ever have control of another group of people without their willing consent. However to avoid the violation, I will retract all of it and simply give you some information about mass hypnosis. (except for repressive regimes) the right to oppose your government is given to every citizen in the modern world. If they all just decide not to care about it then it is their right, but it is not the fault of the government when that happens. Also, throughout history, stunts like these have never EVER led to more freedom (like most Utopian movies want you to believe.) they often lead to more repressive actions by the government in question. Is Anonymous going to be willing to expose themselves when this happens to stand for what they believe or are they going to simply remain Anonymous until all the freedoms they're exploiting are no longer ours to enjoy? This is the question you must ask yourself. If Anonymous is unwilling to sacrifice themselves for their beliefs then after people get tired of being hacked, they will impose stricter laws. This will result in Anonymous either coming out and saying I did it, or backing down and saying nothing. If they say nothing, then all they will accomplish is to strip our freedoms even more. Before you say "o yeah, they'll stand up for what they believe" No one knows the answer to that question, until the moment arrives. Anyone who says they do is usually fearful and can only keep doing what they're doing b/c they believe they are infallible. Here's the hypnosis link I promised.

(This violates ToS so external link to material was included. It discusses religion and how it may or may not relate to mass hypnosis.) http://www.hackforums.net/showthread.php?tid=1679128 You are required to join to read. If you would like to view the contents, I can send you a private IM with the contents. But in respect to the people on this thread, I will refrain from discussing it here.

dmn_clown
September 19th, 2011, 04:50 AM
I was wondering what people thought of Sony's changes to their T&C that says they would ban people who didn't accept the waiver. Is it even legal for them to do this?

I like how everyone misses the "opt out of the no-sue clause but still retain access to the network" option. I guess when you have a grudge against a company, it is easier to convince others that Sony is "evil" when you leave that out. :popcorn:

mmsmc
September 19th, 2011, 05:24 AM
well, you really have to consider the future of the company with something like this, i remember apple had something with tracking people(or what they did w/ there products, cant really remember). will sony do this? and since you will not be able to not accept there terms will it be an invasion of privacy? i cant predict the future but this is definitely a deterrent from me buying there products(at least from my understanding of what is happening, please correct me if i made an incorrect assumption or analysis of the situation).

whatthefunk
September 19th, 2011, 05:46 AM
The sad thing is that while some people care, 95% dont. So Sony will get away with this. Just like Google and Yahoo get away with reading emails to create databases about people. The more rights are chipped away, the more normal it seems to not have any rights.

disabledaccount
September 19th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I dubt that this is legal - I think it's more like threatening costomers and building better "frame of mind" for themselves.
Besides, instead of forcing users to waive their rights it would be more clever to change terms of usage - f.e. by stating that SONY takes no responsibility for security of PSN network, so by using it users are taking the whole risk.

fatality_uk
September 19th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I dubt that this is legal - I think it's more like threatening costomers and building better "frame of mind" for themselves.
Besides, instead of forcing users to waive their rights it would be more clever to change terms of usage - f.e. by stating that SONY takes no responsibility for security of PSN network, so by using it users are taking the whole risk.

It IS legal. The TOS haven't been drafted by Dave in shipping during his lunch break. Sony, like major global companies spend millions annually on legal advice and have legal teams that check documents during drafting and pre-release.

Is it right, I don't think it is. Is it legal, yes.

mmsmc
September 19th, 2011, 07:06 PM
It IS legal. The TOS haven't been drafted by Dave in shipping during his lunch break. Sony, like major global companies spend millions annually on legal advice and have legal teams that check documents during drafting and pre-release.

this makes me sad to say since ive grown up with play station and ps2, but i mustt admit that if this goes through(if it already hasnt) its time for me to stop supporting sony :(

Dr. C
September 19th, 2011, 07:35 PM

The Supreme Court of Canada said otherwise to another major corporation that tried to force arbitration. In the SONY case it is actually worse because it is an attempt to get around privacy legislation as well. Here is my reference from before. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/03/18/bc-supreme-ruling-telus-class-action.html

Just because a major corporation drafts an agreement it does not make it valid or legal.

JRV
September 19th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I quit buying Sony products when they started putting viruses on CDs.

Look Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

mmsmc
September 19th, 2011, 08:35 PM

Look Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal
if that is in fact 100% true then wow

NightwishFan
September 19th, 2011, 08:35 PM

Thanks for posting this. I do not think I will buy from Sony again either.

johnnybgoode83
September 19th, 2011, 11:23 PM

Wow, I somehow missed that. It may be time to stop buying Sony products unless they seriously clean up their act

mmsmc
September 19th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Wow, I somehow missed that. It may be time to stop buying Sony products unless they seriously clean up their act
its a shame this knowledge wont spread any further than the people reading this thread

ki4jgt
September 20th, 2011, 12:20 AM
I heard about it on the news when it happened. The masses just don't care about news which is tech related. They'd rather spread news about other people than something that could potentially affect them. That, plus a good 80% of the population has no clue what a virus is.