PDA

View Full Version : Flash Drives

Merisi
September 16th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Other than as a back up for files does anyone else have any suggestions for uses of a flash drive particularly for Linux?

magic8ball
September 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Keychain fob?

Seriously, your question seems quite vague. Are you really trying to ask if Ubuntu has a ReadyBoost feature like Windows? I did a Google search for "Ubuntu ReadyBoost" and it came back with several links.

Rex Bouwense
September 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Well, I use them for installing distros because most if not all netbooks do not come with an optical drive.
A keychain fob. Interesting.

nothingspecial
September 16th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Or even a live usb so you can take your linux with you. :)

Merisi
September 16th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Keychain fob?

Seriously, your question seems quite vague. Are you really trying to ask if Ubuntu has a ReadyBoost feature like Windows? I did a Google search for "Ubuntu ReadyBoost" and it came back with several links.

I was hoping it this thread would get moved to another folder. I did try and post it under recurring discussions but it wouldn't let me.

As for being vague, I'm generally interested in what people do with their flash drives and if there is anything Ubuntu that you can do that I never considered.

nothingspecial
September 16th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I was hoping it this thread would get moved to another folder. I did try and post it under recurring discussions but it wouldn't let me.

I'll stick it the cafe as it's not really a support question. :)

Lisiano
September 16th, 2011, 04:39 PM
If I had a ton of USB's I could make a software RAID 0 out of them. Would be cool IMO.

Merisi
September 16th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I'll stick it the cafe as it's not really a support question. :)

Thank you :)

sanderd17
September 16th, 2011, 04:50 PM
If I had a ton of USB's I could make a software RAID 0 out of them. Would be cool IMO.

It depends on how your USBs are put on your motherboard. If they all go through the same bus (like it would be when you use an USB hub), you would only achieve a maximum speed of 480Mbps, while a SSD can get 3Gbps.

haqking
September 16th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Peristant Linux
Non peristant Linux
Linux VM when you cant boot from a USB
Storage
An extra source for document backup using rsync cronjob
spare one on keyring for when i need to copy some files from someone when out
spare one in laptop bag

mmm i think thats about it, i have so many of the things

CharlesA
September 16th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I have a "multipass" that I take with me with some tools on it.

10 points to whoever gets the reference. ;)

Merisi
September 16th, 2011, 04:55 PM

Fifth Element?

haqking
September 16th, 2011, 05:03 PM

Yeah, multipass, she knows it's a multipass.

Zeta-K
September 16th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Portable apps and a linux-in-a-window for when I'm on a Windows machine.

CharlesA
September 16th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Fifth Element?

Bingo.

Bwhahaha.

Portable apps and a linux-in-a-window for when I'm on a Windows machine.

What is this 'linux-in-a-window' that you refer to? Do they have a portable version of cygwin?

haqking
September 16th, 2011, 05:27 PM
What is this 'linux-in-a-window' that you refer to? Do they have a portable version of cygwin?

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/using-a-portable-virtualbox-to-run-linux-from-usb/

and of course the old Damn Small Linux http://www.pendrivelinux.com/all-in-one-usb-dsl/

CharlesA
September 16th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Wow that's pretty schweet. :D

Lisiano
September 16th, 2011, 05:36 PM
It depends on how your USBs are put on your motherboard. If they all go through the same bus (like it would be when you use an USB hub), you would only achieve a maximum speed of 480Mbps, while a SSD can get 3Gbps.

Who said anything about USB2? USB3 is the way with it's 3.2 Gbit/s+. Even 5 Gbit/s.

disabledaccount
September 16th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Other than as a back up for files does anyone else have any suggestions for uses of a flash drive particularly for Linux?It's very easy to create personal version of readyboost, but... I see no point for such thing in linux, so I'll just stay with ultra-mobile general-use removable storage option that can be sometimes used to infect computers with linux - making some peoples happy and some others angry... ;)

Porcini M.
September 16th, 2011, 07:21 PM

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/1700000/Multi-Pass-the-fifth-element-1742871-516-271.jpg