PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 Question

Superslacker
September 16th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Hello,

I am a novice user in ubuntu. I currently have 10.10 desktop 64 bit running nicely. I have been putting off the upgrade notice for some time now. One of the reasons being is the unity desktop, the other reason is loosing my apps or their current setup. Unity is nice but not my sytle. I prefer to use Gnome.

My question is if I upgrade to the latest version can I still use gnome as my desktop environment?

I have been reading the forum and this is one of the posts I just finished reading

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1842828
I would appreciate any input you could offer

Thanks for your time

SS

coffeecat
September 16th, 2011, 05:11 PM
With 11.04 you can run the classic gnome desktop, almost the same as you have at the moment in Maverick. You can select either Unity or classic gnome at the login screen. You have to enter your username first, after which you can select either Unity (I think it says just "Ubuntu") or classic gnome at the bottom of the screen. Then enter your password and you are taken to your selected desktop which becomes your default one until such time as you log into the other.

If the default video driver does not support 3d with your graphics card, the system will fall back to classic gnome anyway.

Things will change in 11.10 with the transition to gnome 3. The default desktops will be Unity 3d and Unity 2d as a fallback. It will be possible to install a package to get a classic gnome near-lookalike but there will be functional differences.

Do give Unity at least a passing try. There are many (including myself) who did not like it at first, but who now much prefer it. There are a couple of links in my sig which you might find useful.

By the way, when posting a url, please do not enclose it in code tags. If you post it as-is, the forum software makes it a clickable link, which it is not in code tags.

Good luck! :)

Superslacker
September 16th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks for your reply

most forums frown on live links. I will make sure i edit them out. I am going to follow your links to learn a little bit about unity.I will also let the upgrade go through since gnome is still an option to fall back on

Thanks for your input

SS

coffeecat
September 16th, 2011, 05:21 PM
most forums frown on live links.

Yes some do, often as an anti-spam measure. We have our own methods! :wink:

Good luck!