PDA

View Full Version : Well I wrote my first program in C

ClientAlive
September 16th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I thought about designing it to take user input for the values and spit out the answer when the enter key is pressed. Maybe I will take a stab at that in my free time - idk. In any case, it's the first one I did on my own so I'm pretty stoked about that. Just thought I'd share :D

Jake
):P

msandoy
September 16th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Congrats on your first "Hello world!" program. I'm just curious why you are not using the terminal to experiment with this? Linux is excellent for learning programming, and a lot of programming tools are installed by default.

Ok, checked the screenshot again, you are using cygwin.

kaldor
September 16th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Fun stuff. I'm currently learning C# right now with next to no programming experience :)

BeRoot ReBoot
September 16th, 2011, 01:06 PM
>C development
>in windows

ishygddt

Joeb454
September 16th, 2011, 01:08 PM
C# is a pretty easy language to pick up if you have at least a basic OO knowledge, but I'd recommend doing some sort of C programming first, to give a basic understanding into principles of programming etc.

That's just personal opinion of course, I know someone will come along and disagree :)

TeoBigusGeekus
September 16th, 2011, 01:15 PM
C# is a pretty easy language to pick up if you have at least a basic OO knowledge, but I'd recommend doing some sort of C programming first, to give a basic understanding into principles of programming etc.

That's just personal opinion of course, I know someone will come along and disagree :)

C is the one and only language one must pick!!!

3Miro
September 16th, 2011, 01:41 PM

+1.

If you know C# or Java or Python or something of this sort, then it takes quite the effort to learn C. If you have good understanding of C, learning any other language is trivial.

Of course, learning C can be quite boring as it usually takes quite some time before you can do something exciting.

BeRoot ReBoot
September 16th, 2011, 01:53 PM

If you want C with OOP, use C++. C# is owned by Microsoft, any Free implementations of it are bound to get banned and sued to death the moment they pick up any real momentum.

Off Shore
September 16th, 2011, 01:57 PM

Far be it from me to disagree but in the context of formal learning I would also suggest there really do seem to be two schools of thought in modern education relating to teaching of Computer Science.

One school posits gaining an understanding of Object Oriented Design as being of prime importance.

The other posits a broad understanding of ICT as suffcient and that teaching shoud be limited to
introductory word processing or spreadsheet tasks, etc.

I personally belong in the first camp and firmly believe SmallTalk to be the best language to allow pupils to learn the basics of OO Design in a very practical way.

Its been my experience that pupils who have followed this course have then gone on to cope very well in their later studies at university.

However, those of you who take up an interest in computing when your secondary school career has passed may very well find C# to be a good vehicle with plenty of online resources available for reference sources.

ClientAlive
September 17th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Fun stuff. I'm currently learning C# right now with next to no programming experience :)

It is. Definitely! Even with such a simple program like that I'm still excited. I can envision the possibilities, you know?

I would be working in Linux but this is the route my school chose. As I begin to gain skills I'm sure I will be doing a lot of my own projects on my own system - Linux. :D

ClientAlive
September 17th, 2011, 08:57 PM

wpa!

;)
--------------------

Edit:

Ahhh . . . my Greek is not so good. I think that probably doesn't make sense and sounds dumb. ah well.

Linux_junkie
September 17th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Talking of computer languages anyone tried Gambas 2? I noticed it in the repros.

fatality_uk
September 17th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Talking of computer languages anyone tried Gambas 2? I noticed it in the repros.

Yes. it's good but need runtimes and takes a bit of configuring.

Legendary_Bibo
September 17th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I like VB more than C#, they're essentially the same, just with slightly different syntax, and I like the VB syntax better to be honest.

It's a bit more wordy, but I find it easier to write what I want something to do. I'm learning C# at the same time as VB.

el_koraco
September 18th, 2011, 02:29 AM
Dude, you really did get the bug. I still remember your first thread :D

wojox
September 18th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I thought about designing it to take user input for the values and spit out the answer when the enter key is pressed. Maybe I will take a stab at that in my free time - idk. In any case, it's the first one I did on my own so I'm pretty stoked about that. Just thought I'd share :D

Jake
):P

Ahh you just brought back some fond memories. :P

You my friend get one :popcorn: and a gold :KS

WinterMadness
September 18th, 2011, 04:47 AM
im not entirely sure why C# exists. Did MS just make another language for the sake of it? What was the purpose of inventing it?

TeoBigusGeekus
September 18th, 2011, 09:33 AM
im not entirely sure why C# exists. Did MS just make another language for the sake of it? What was the purpose of inventing it?

To compete with java.

ninjaaron
September 18th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Nice. More than I ever wrote in C.

Eiji Takanaka
September 19th, 2011, 12:53 AM
They should go contemporary with their next incarnation, i reckon c +1 would be a good name!

WinterMadness
September 19th, 2011, 04:25 AM
To compete with java.

Is c# even cross platform?

ClientAlive
September 19th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Dude, you really did get the bug. I still remember your first thread :D

Hey, what's up man! Long time no talk el koraco. I thought you were mad at me man.

Yeah, it's exciting! Our next project will be learning about "if" and "else"

Something like that. These guys at the university really don't know - they're playing with fire here! Mess around and give me a taste of the stuff . . . I just might get out of control on em', start writing all kinds of cool stuff :D

lol

Legendary_Bibo
September 19th, 2011, 06:15 AM

Yeah, with the Mono project.

Legendary_Bibo
September 19th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Hey, what's up man! Long time no talk el koraco. I thought you were mad at me man.

Yeah, it's exciting! Our next project will be learning about "if" and "else"

Something like that. These guys at the university really don't know - they're playing with fire here! Mess around and give me a taste of the stuff . . . I just might get out of control on em', start writing all kinds of cool stuff :D

lol

I set up a way on how to stream info to users of my application (like text, and links and stuff) and put them in a list box. I did it using pastebin. I'm proud of that :D

Using the something similar, I'm going to create an auto updater.

directhex
September 19th, 2011, 09:45 AM

There are three C# apps installed by default on Ubuntu, so you tell me.

ninjaaron
September 19th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I set up a way on how to stream info to users of my application (like text, and links and stuff) and put them in a list box. I did it using pastebin. I'm proud of that :D

Using the something similar, I'm going to create an auto updater.

I've never actually read it, so I don't know, but you might want to make sure this isn't in violation of Pastebin's TOS if you plan to release it to a wider audience. Companies tend to frown on "innovative" uses of their bandwidth.

kaldor
September 19th, 2011, 10:15 AM

Banshee is written in C#.

Linux_junkie
September 19th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Anyone use Gambas2?

Its a language similar to visual basic (but its not a clone) as it says in the documents.

Legendary_Bibo
September 19th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I've never actually read it, so I don't know, but you might want to make sure this isn't in violation of Pastebin's TOS if you plan to release it to a wider audience. Companies tend to frown on "innovative" uses of their bandwidth.

I looked it up, it should be fine as long as it doesn't get too widely distributed.

cap10Ibraim
September 19th, 2011, 07:56 PM
As a fan of *nix I prefer C all the way , when the problem need object oriented approach I use structures

TeoBigusGeekus
September 19th, 2011, 08:08 PM
as a fan of *nix i prefer c all the way , when the problem need object oriented approach i use structures

+1