PDA

View Full Version : Flash drive remove reminder

bikeboy
May 30th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Not sure if this is a good place to post but I think it is.

I left my USB flash drive in a computer at my uni library yesterday, I was lucky enough to be able to retrieve it but it got me thinking...

It would be nice to have a feature where the computer reminds you to remove your flash drive when you logout. This would be particularly useful for public terminals IMO. My uni uses XP so it wouldn't help there, but ideas have to start somewhere, and FOSS is often the place.

What do others think?

disabled_20220313
May 30th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Good idea. As I've did the same about 5days ago, but didn't get it back.

There'd have to be some initial set up though. As there are going to be people that have a 200gb USB drive always plugged in and they would find it annoying that they get an error/reminder everytime they log out.

I suggest you wait until the Edgy starts accepting ideas, and submit it. I don't think it would be the most difficult thing in the world to implement. (Unfortunatly I don't actually know how you could get this taken up, besides writing it yourself)

TrendyDark
May 30th, 2006, 10:17 AM
That really isn't a bad idea, seeing how I've had teachers lose my papers emailed to them, by leaving their flash drive somewhere :(

Engnome
May 30th, 2006, 12:43 PM
There should also be a "You unplugged an active usb device while data was being written to it. Data may or may have been lost. Please use the eject function. "

Sometimes I forget it and my documents arent written to my usb stick. Would be good to have a reminder.

Kvark
May 30th, 2006, 12:58 PM
There'd have to be some initial set up though. As there are going to be people that have a 200gb USB drive always plugged in and they would find it annoying that they get an error/reminder everytime they log out.
It could remind about everything that was mounted after the user logged in. That way it would remind you about an USB stick you plugged in but not about an USB drive that was already plugged in before you got there.

I've found a couple CDs in public computers before so it's not only usb sticks this would be useful for... And no I didn't take them, I turned them in to the teacher/librarian.

linuchsan
May 30th, 2006, 01:05 PM
In linux you can create a .bash_logout file in your home dir.
Now you can place the commands you like when you logout.

bikeboy
May 30th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I will have to look at how to suggest it, I suspect it will be through launchpad somewhere. I'm not a programmer at all unfortunately.

I agree that it couldn't just be set for any removable device, but certainly some sort of option would be great.

edit:

In linux you can create a .bash_logout file in your home dir.
Now you can place the commands you like when you logout.
Interesting avenue.