PDA

View Full Version : finally deleted windows

evand
May 30th, 2006, 06:42 AM
so, coming home after 10 hours at school (an architecture project), hoping to get on autocad and finish up, i find my computer completely dead, neither the ubuntu or winxp partitions are booting. who knows. after about 4 hours trying to get windows xp working, i decided to just throw ubuntu onto my main disk. i've got all my data on a separate hard drive so no problem there. took about 30 minutes to install Breezy and get all the normal tweaks set up.

and now it's two am, I'm drinking rum and trying to get VMware working.

at any rate, for the moment i have zero versions of windows on my machine, and it feels pretty alright.

anyone have suggestions on the best way to run Autocad on this thing?

IYY
May 30th, 2006, 06:56 AM
I heard of people running it very nicely on Wine.

cnbiz850
May 30th, 2006, 06:56 AM
I haven't done it, but sounds like the best way to run Autocad is through Wine. Check this: http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php?catId=0

bonzodog
May 30th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Have you thought about finding a Linux-Native equivalent?
And I quote (Source: linux.ie);

CAD
LinuxCAD works as a perfect alternative to AutoCAD. For Free alternatives to AutoCAD, there's QCAD and LinuxCAD. They both have some limitations compared to the lastest version of AutoCAD, but those limitations are going away as more people contribute to the projects. If you truly want to help get people out from under Autodesk's thumb, this is the way to go.
Commercial alternatives, which are probably more full featured, include VariCAD, Cycas and IntelliCAD. All of these run on Linux.