PDA

View Full Version : What should I make for Second Life

ki4jgt
September 16th, 2011, 07:35 AM
So if you're not familiar, Second Life is an online game where players build their own world and then interact with one another either with objects they've created within that world or directly. All objects are made of differently shaped blocks called prims. When stacked together and a script is placed inside them, the prims will do pretty much any thing you want. They can be programmed to pose your body in a certain way when you touch or sit on them. They can be programmed to speak to you. . . The list goes on and on.
Second Life has an inworld currency which allows people to purchase items from one another and then exchange that currency for real money. It also allows it's user to get a job and be paid in that sense. To purchase land and a house (or build) to go on that land.
I just opened my online store. So far, I have a table, a chair, and a pager. There's nothing special about the table or chair, but the pager allows anyone who is around it to click it and you will instantly be sent a link to where they are in the game (So you can have multiple pagers spread out in the game)

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/93605

I'm basically new to LSL (Linden Scripting Language) which is what the game runs on. I'm practicing right now. What product should I design next for my online store to further my practice?

MasterNetra
September 16th, 2011, 07:48 PM
So if you're not familiar, Second Life is an online game where players build their own world and then interact with one another either with objects they've created within that world or directly. All objects are made of differently shaped blocks called prims. When stacked together and a script is placed inside them, the prims will do pretty much any thing you want. They can be programmed to pose your body in a certain way when you touch or sit on them. They can be programmed to speak to you. . . The list goes on and on.
Second Life has an inworld currency which allows people to purchase items from one another and then exchange that currency for real money. It also allows it's user to get a job and be paid in that sense. To purchase land and a house (or build) to go on that land.
I just opened my online store. So far, I have a table, a chair, and a pager. There's nothing special about the table or chair, but the pager allows anyone who is around it to click it and you will instantly be sent a link to where they are in the game (So you can have multiple pagers spread out in the game)

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/93605

I'm basically new to LSL (Linden Scripting Language) which is what the game runs on. I'm practicing right now. What product should I design next for my online store to further my practice?

Clothes, Vehicles, Homes, and whatever is in demand.

NightwishFan
September 16th, 2011, 08:08 PM
I know someone made Nausicaa's Glider on Second Life. That was almost cool enough for me to try it. Almost.

Off Shore
September 16th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Well young man, the only thing I can even imagine making for Second Life is a quick move to the Exit :)
Seriously I do believe people, especially young people, can make much better use of their time .... arent you lot interested in dating, dancing sports etc?

EDIT: Jolly good effort learning a new script tool and even better if you can make a few pounds. But please remember to make a bit of time for being young and enjoying yourself with other things than computing.

mmsmc
September 16th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Well young man, the only thing I can even imagine making for Second Life is a quick move to the Exit :)
Seriously I do believe people, especially young people, can make much better use of their time .... arent you lot interested in dating, dancing sports etc?
eeewwww girls! who wants cooties! :lolflag:

ki4jgt
September 16th, 2011, 09:06 PM

EDIT: Jolly good effort learning a new script tool and even better if you can make a few pounds. But please remember to make a bit of time for being young and enjoying yourself with other things than computing.

Thanks for the advice. Second Life has been a little time consuming lately. :-) However, I know I need time in real life too LOL. I'll try and keep a healthy balance :-)

Legendary_Bibo
September 16th, 2011, 11:42 PM
More furry outfits?

Spice Weasel
September 16th, 2011, 11:44 PM
A Linux distro based on a super duper VOIP client that integrates with FreeDOS and Python released under creative commons. Using only PPAs.

Quadunit404
September 16th, 2011, 11:51 PM
More furry outfits?

This!

Quadunit404
September 16th, 2011, 11:59 PM
I think you should make Rick, the Adventure Sphere.

http://portal.biringa.com/images/5/52/AdventureCore.png

Happy Explosion day!

IWantFroyo
September 17th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I don't know much about Second Life, but the pager concept seems extremely interesting.

You could make it a really big thing if you turn it into a cell phone, of sorts. Sending messages to people, paging as you said, maybe even calling other players.

Also, maybe you could make a Windows vinyl disc, that will give walls the BSOD when you touch them with it. Nehehe... :)

Legendary_Bibo
September 17th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Also, maybe you could make a Windows vinyl disc, that will give walls the BSOD when you touch them with it. Nehehe... :)

And we can make one for Mac OSX that gives a message "Please run this on Apple approved hardware", and one for Linux that just displays scrolling white text on a black background.

IWantFroyo
September 17th, 2011, 12:22 AM
And we can make one for Mac OSX that gives a message "Please run this on Apple approved hardware", and one for Linux that just displays scrolling white text on a black background.

"Kernel panic: Segmentation fault in cylinder 433"
"Kernel panic: Segmentation fault in section 433"
"The apocalypse is your fault."
"You are a terrible person."
"Kernel panic: Segmentation fault in section 433"

/I really don't remember the old error messages. They went somewhat like that...

ki4jgt
September 17th, 2011, 04:38 AM
I don't know much about Second Life, but the pager concept seems extremely interesting.

You could make it a really big thing if you turn it into a cell phone, of sorts. Sending messages to people, paging as you said, maybe even calling other players.

Unfortunately they already have an inworld chat :-( It just doesn't allow you to page store owners who you may not know the name of. All the other players who are friends can voice chat or text across the world to each other.

ki4jgt
September 17th, 2011, 04:39 AM
I think you should make Rick, the Adventure Sphere.

http://portal.biringa.com/images/5/52/AdventureCore.png

Happy Explosion day!

That just gave me a GREAT idea. Thanks :-)

Linuxratty
September 17th, 2011, 03:10 PM

Well,let us see it when you are done.

(|__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(")

ki4jgt
September 17th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Well,let us see it when you are done.

(|__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(")

Right now, I'm working on another project (automating a job I've got so I don't have to do as much work). After it, I'll do that one (hopefully)

Legendary_Bibo
September 17th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Right now, I'm working on another project (automating a job I've got so I don't have to do as much work). After it, I'll do that one (hopefully)

So should we mark this up onto your growing list of projects you've announced here that you're going to do but never actually start?

Quadunit404
September 17th, 2011, 09:53 PM

I... wasn't expecting you to actually take that seriously. It was a joke (HA HA, FAT CHANCE)

ki4jgt
September 18th, 2011, 05:00 AM
So should we mark this up onto your growing list of projects you've announced here that you're going to do but never actually start?

Nope. I've actually consolidated several items in that growing list into one big project. I just finished it.

- Writing a DE
- Writing the secured (virtually not 100%) comms device (which by the way goes great when it has hardware of it's own)
- and a few others have went into this project.
- The file sharing thing I introduced a while back.

Of course, the vendor I was talking to is flat broke so it'll probably go nowhere, but thanks for the inquiry :-) I'll send you a link to the device if it's ever released.

ninjaaron
September 18th, 2011, 06:23 PM
[...] one for Linux that just displays scrolling white text on a black background.Preferably scrolling much faster than any human-being could ever possibly read.

Legendary_Bibo
September 18th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Nope. I've actually consolidated several items in that growing list into one big project. I just finished it.

- Writing a DE
- Writing the secured (virtually not 100%) comms device (which by the way goes great when it has hardware of it's own)
- and a few others have went into this project.
- The file sharing thing I introduced a while back.

Of course, the vendor I was talking to is flat broke so it'll probably go nowhere, but thanks for the inquiry :-) I'll send you a link to the device if it's ever released.

I'm good.

Eiji Takanaka
September 19th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I tried that a while ago, was weird as hell. My first questions to a random dude driving around was....o.k where are the guns? and where is the bank? haha blates innit.