PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04 (64bit) installed, but Win 7 disappeared?

awinw
September 16th, 2011, 04:38 AM
I had a HP laptop G61-420 computer with Microsfot Windows 7 home prem edition as sole OS. Today I decided to add Ubuntu as dual OS.

I partitioned a new 90GB (from 304GB) to install Ubuntu 10.04 (64bit), Ubuntu installation succeeded, but Win 7 disappeared!

I tried to restore Win 7 with its Recovery Manager, but
it failed.

As I bought this HP Win 7 laptop second-hand,the previous owner did not give me a DVD disk of OS. He said I could easily restore it with built-in Recovery Manager.

Please help how can I re-instate this Win 7 withOUT recovery manager NOR DVD disk??

oldfred
September 16th, 2011, 04:45 AM
First lets see what is where.

Boot Info Script courtesy of forum members meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
Page with instructions and download:
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
Paste contents of results.txt in a New Reply, then highlight entire file and click on # in edit panel(code tags) to make it easier to read.
Or You can generate the tags first by pressing the # icon in the New Reply Edit toolbar and then paste the contents between the generated [ code] paste here [ /code] tags.
V60 has improved formating and requires code tags to make it legible. New Version is a zip file that you have to extract to get .sh to run.

awinw
September 16th, 2011, 10:51 PM
First lets see what is where.

Boot Info Script courtesy of forum members meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
Page with instructions and download:
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
......o get .sh to run.

Sorry, I do not know where/how to download:
in the following page, the link connects to nowhere except for its functions: thanks for more help!

Boot into any Linux based operating system, LiveCD or LiveUSB with an Internet connection.
Download the Boot Info Script (http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript)
Extract the zip file to a directory of your choice.
Open a terminal....

oldfred
September 16th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Try green button on the page, it should then download.

awinw
September 17th, 2011, 03:21 AM

Yes, but what was already downloaded is an .exe file,,
there is a warning like this:

Archive: /tmp/Babylon9_setup-1.exe
[/tmp/Babylon9_setup-1.exe]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /tmp/Babylon9_setup-1.exe or /tmp/Babylon9_setup-1.exe.zip, and cannot find /tmp/Babylon9_setup-1.exe.ZIP, period.

Hakunka-Matata
September 17th, 2011, 03:31 AM
As you say, that's the wrong file. It is a .zip file now. Try the link in my signature for boot_info_script.sh

Here's what I see when going to the boot_info_script link in my signature

oldfred
September 17th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Where are you getting an .exe file from? Linux does not even use exe except with .wine.

Are you trying to download in another Windows computer and have a virus? You should use Ubuntu install or liveCD.

awinw
September 17th, 2011, 05:12 AM

yes, I got it and unzipped it.
this long text is too much for me to understand now.
not sure which part should I paste here.

srs5694
September 17th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Run the script. It will create a file called RESULTS.txt. Post the entire RESULTS.txt file, either as an attachment or between
and tags.