PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu Lucid Lynx DVD

jerinian
September 16th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Hi everyone! I'm a fan of Linux for many years now, but i'm no expert, i just want to know if the Lucid Lynx Dvd includes Mp3 plugins or gstreamer plugins? So i don't have to worry of reformatting my pc and then do all the hassle of downloading all the plugins because ubuntu cannot play avi or mp3 straight away without the help of internet updates. I have used synaptic package manager and create a download script, and save all the packages and install it one by one ( i don't know how to install multiple packages at once )it's time consuming. And i hope compiz and ati catalyst are present in the Dvd and also emerald.
Help anyone out there! Plz enlightened me :)

varunendra
September 16th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Hi everyone! I'm a fan of Linux for many years now, but i'm no expert, i just want to know if the Lucid Lynx Dvd includes Mp3 plugins or gstreamer plugins? So i don't have to worry of reformatting my pc and then do all the hassle of downloading all the plugins because ubuntu cannot play avi or mp3 straight away without the help of internet updates. I have used synaptic package manager and create a download script, and save all the packages and install it one by one ( i don't know how to install multiple packages at once )it's time consuming. And i hope compiz and ati catalyst are present in the Dvd and also emerald.
Help anyone out there! Plz enlightened me :)
No proprietary stuff exists in any of the Ubuntu standard releases. If you need them on the CD/DVD, go for Mint instead. It includes VLC player on its DVD version. Not sure about emerald, but ATI catalyst or Compiz need to be downloaded. They don't exist on the DVD (either ubuntu or mint).

mue.de
September 16th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I remember an article in the german c't-Magazine how to build a slip-stream cd/dvd of any Linux version after making all updates, adding proprietary software (casper-rw...?), can find it out, if you're interested

mue.de

jerinian
September 16th, 2011, 07:35 AM
@ Varunendra Thank you for the reply, now i know before i download the DVD distro. :D
@ Mue.de Thanks also for the info about the slipstream. :D