PDA

View Full Version : Algorithm Analysis

WinterMadness
September 16th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Im struggling a bit with this concept(im taking my first data structures/algorithms class at university.), at least in terms of proving best/worst/avg cases. Admittedly, I have a book that has a reputation for being horrible for first timers with the subject, but im seriously really lost, and im wondering if most people even really go into depth with this stuff?

OlyPerson
September 16th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Algorithm analysis and understanding of data structures is important. Basically it's how you know if the code you're writing is as efficient as it can be.

WinterMadness
September 16th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Algorithm analysis and understanding of data structures is important. Basically it's how you know if the code you're writing is as efficient as it can be.

Im aware of that. I want to know if most people actually prove best,average and worst cases scenarios. By that, I dont mean simply looking up that a specific algorithm is O(n^2) or O (n Log n) etc. I mean, doing all of the math on YOUR OWN to figure out what its big oh is.

Example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithm_analysis#Evaluating_run-time_complexity

cyberslayer
September 16th, 2011, 06:48 AM
You mean does the "average programmer" do runtime analysis? Definitely not. However, the "average programmer" does a lot of bad things so its not really a model for what you should be doing.

Once you code enough and analyze enough algorithms, you'll be able to tell what the runtime is most of the time without actually having to do the analysis.

CptPicard
September 16th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Well, in the real world you don't really do an actual proof. It's just important to have a sense of the overall class of the complexity of the problem you're dealing with, and to be able to do rough arithmetic with the big-Ohs when combining approaches...

karlson
September 16th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Im struggling a bit with this concept(im taking my first data structures/algorithms class at university.), at least in terms of proving best/worst/avg cases. Admittedly, I have a book that has a reputation for being horrible for first timers with the subject, but im seriously really lost, and im wondering if most people even really go into depth with this stuff?

If you are even remotely writing code that requires performance then absolutely you go in depth with the stuff.

karlson
September 16th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Im aware of that. I want to know if most people actually prove best,average and worst cases scenarios. By that, I dont mean simply looking up that a specific algorithm is O(n^2) or O (n Log n) etc. I mean, doing all of the math on YOUR OWN to figure out what its big oh is.

Example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithm_analysis#Evaluating_run-time_complexity

If you come up with a generic algorithm like sorting/searching you will need to do a big O research on your own to prove that your stuff is worth the concept. Furthermore on quite a few interviews you may be asked to come up with a way to do something like a most common subset search or determine if the set is a subset of another set, etc. and you need to make it in the most efficient manner you will have to do this Big O calculation right then and there.

Off Shore
September 16th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Keep thinking positive is the trick.
Sometimes in education the subject matter makes some students wonder if it
has any practical use. This is just as true of Computing Science as it is of English language, Biology, History or any other academic subject.

The answer, of course, is yes it does always have a practical use. You need to study that material to pass your module or your exam.
In addition you will have gained something valuable albeit intangible from applying yourself to this difficult or dull area.

That's part and parcel of your education and the learned ability to deal with dense and dull topics is a highly valuable transferable skill.

Dont undervalue it.

cyberslayer
September 17th, 2011, 02:35 AM
That's part and parcel of your education and the learned ability to deal with dense and dull topics is a highly valuable transferable skill.

Dont undervalue it.

Complexity analysis can be useful in practice; while most of the time its not necessary, it can be useful once in a while if you use a custom algorithm and are not sure how well it performs. It also doesn't have to be "dense and dull"; it just requires some effort in order to get the hang of things.