PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot remote into work computer after establishing VPN connection

pablorpm
September 16th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Hello all. I am trying to log into my work desktop (Windows OS) from my home laptop (Ubuntu 11.04). I am able to establish a successful VPN connection to my network but unsuccessful in remoting into my desktop using Reminna Remote Desktop client.

I think I've narrowed it down to a router issue (using D-Link 624) but I'm not certain. I am able to VPN and RDP using another computer (Win 7 OS) on my same home network. I then thought I had my remote desktop client settings incorrect, so I went to show my buddy at a local coffee shop and successfully connected to my work computer. So I then tested connecting my laptop to my ISP modem directly and turned off my router to ensure an ethernet connection only. Established VPN connection and SUCCESSFULLY remote desktop into my work computer!! Thus, my reasoning of it being a router issue.

Now with that said, I have no clue what to change on my router. I've researched the web and just keep finding port forwarding articles (which I don't think is my case) and firewall settings (which I'm unsure how to do or exactly which port). I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to open up. Also, my D-Link router isn't the easiest to understand (or maybe I just don't know what I'm looking at).

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!