PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hangs on the splash screen while booting.

gvivekcbe
September 16th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Hi,

M/c - Core i7, NVidia GT 555M

Iam a newbie in Ubuntu. I installed Ubuntu 11.04 32 bit installed. I had the Unity desktop. I didnt install the additional NVIDIA 3D driver that the Ubuntu had listed.

After the installation, there were three stages.

First Stage: Just after installation, everything was fine. Unity Interface was up.
Second Stage: Now after i installed the NVIDIA linux 32 bit driver, it boots to a terminal. And i was not able to start gdm with the gdm start/stop commands. I deleted the xconf file and apt-get removed NVIDIA*.
Third Stage: After i removed the NVIDIA driver, it hangs on the splash screen with those five dots forever blinking. I have to switch to the tty1 terminal and start gdm manually. Then it starts on the Ubuntu classic I/F.

Now how do i go to the first stage without re-installing.

Whats the fix for this? I do not want to install the NVIDIA driver. How can i bring it to the first state that i was in after i installed Ubuntu, without reinstalling it?

Thank you.

Blasphemist
September 16th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Did you install the closed source nvidia driver? The install would install the open source driver. Try following the first few troubleshooting posts of this thread. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535