PDA

View Full Version : If You Already Hate Windows 8 Then You Hate Technology

Porcini M.
September 16th, 2011, 02:04 AM
...If you're not intrigued by Windows 8 and Metro, if you can't recognize that it's a big leap forward, if you're not excited about what it means for you, personally then you don't really care about technology; you care about brands. You care about platforms. You care about politics. You're a fanboy...

http://gizmodo.com/5840704/if-you-already-hate-windows-8-then-you-hate-technology

Dangertux
September 16th, 2011, 02:14 AM
I am very intrigued by Windows 8, and metro. I completely agree they are the future.

They are in fact the future of, cross application scripting, cross application request forgery, self signed code vulnerabilities , rootkits that can hook a kernel through a browser session, and a slew of other vulnerabilities that Microsoft may well be introducing the world to in the coming months.

This goes back to the old saying, just because you can doesn't mean you should. Just my thoughts.

Famicube64
September 16th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Typical Gizmodo article title. What a worthless site.

reyfer
September 16th, 2011, 02:17 AM
i am very intrigued by windows 8, and metro. I completely agree they are the future.

They are in fact the future of, cross application scripting, cross application request forgery, self signed code vulnerabilities , rootkits that can hook a kernel through a browser session, and a slew of other vulnerabilities that microsoft may well be introducing the world to in the coming months.

This goes back to the old saying, just because you can doesn't mean you should. Just my thoughts.

+10 !!!!

_d_
September 16th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Been playing around with the Windows 8 Developer Preview (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844108), and I am just astounded by it.

It is, quite simply, Windows 7 on steroids.

Gremlinzzz
September 16th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Don't see any earth shattering changes in any new OS.s.
I don't want touch screen or keyboards or mouses.
I want voice command and a computer that talks back.:popcorn:

BlacqWolf
September 16th, 2011, 02:53 AM

Windows has had that. Since XP, I think.

It's not that accurate, but nonetheless, it has it.

(the Kinect software on Xbox is super accurate, though)

yanom
September 16th, 2011, 03:00 AM
I can't wait to see the Windows 8 stuff, just because it's new. If it's good enough someone will clone the general idea behind in and port it to linux. That's what happened with the Mac "Dock", it became the Unity sidebar. (Fortunately I use XFCE so I'm immune to this crazy GNOME/Unity fiasco)

Lucradia
September 16th, 2011, 04:28 AM
If I get Windows 8, I will use the normal non-metro desktop; as I game. Also, I love technology, and can't wait for those 1000x processors to come out in 2013. I wish I had that business lenovo tablet instead of my netbook. Speaking of my netbook; Best Buy took it completely off their website.

Gremlinzzz
September 16th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Windows has had that. Since XP, I think.

It's not that accurate, but nonetheless, it has it.

(the Kinect software on Xbox is super accurate, though)

tried the vista voice what ever but it suxed.
I'm thinking star trek type:popcorn:

Lucradia
September 16th, 2011, 04:45 AM
tried the vista voice what ever but it suxed.
I'm thinking star trek type:popcorn:

Minecraft can use Kinect :P Via an automated modeling program.

MonolithImmortal
September 16th, 2011, 06:56 AM
That's what happened with the Mac "Dock", it became the Unity sidebar.

Right, because docky/awn/cairo/etc didn't exist before unity.

hansdown
September 16th, 2011, 07:29 AM
INB4LOCK.

:popcorn:

pastalavista
September 16th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I don't hate any software. I don't use what is not mine to do with as I please. If I want to put a Ford engine in my Chevy, neither Ford nor Chevy can prevent me from altering their product any way I want (unless I lease, which I hardly ever do). Why should software be any different?

hansdown
September 16th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I don't hate any software. I don't use what is not mine to do with as I please. If I want to put a Ford engine in my Chevy, neither Ford nor Chevy can prevent me from altering their product any way I want (unless I lease, which I hardly ever do). Why should software be any different?

You're right.

Most people, I know, put small block chevy motors in their fords.

:)

HansKisaragi
September 16th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I'm not a fan of Metro. i dont need any cluttering crap on my screen,

Copper Bezel
September 16th, 2011, 10:57 AM
What clutter? Metro is the antithesis of clutter. It's all content area.

pastalavista, I feel the same way, so 8 is more of an interesting thing to look at than anything I can imagine myself having the occasion to use. It's notable that that consideration doesn't apply to the Mac-user audience for whom the article was intended, as well.

el_koraco
September 16th, 2011, 11:27 AM
What clutter? Metro is the antithesis of clutter. It's all content area.

It looks pretty good, but I can imagine it becoming a PITA to use on a desktop after a while. Pretty good for a tablet, but there's other stuff that I wouldn't want or need on a tablet. Apple has that thing right, iOS is a much more suitable tablet interface, in that it doesn't attempt to be everything at once, and OSX is borrowing the tablet elements, not turning itself into a tablet interface.

It seems Microsoft are just testing an undecided market, and will shape Windows 9 according to trends 8ya know, whether they will keep the Frankenstein combo or split it). The unified tablet/desktop interface could be good for the detachable netbook machines, if they take off, but I'm not sure that's gonna happen with Intel's Ultrabook drive and Apple's strong domination in the mobile arena.

ninjaaron
September 16th, 2011, 12:14 PM

If you spend the whole day talking to your computer, it will not be good for your voice. I'd rather type than talk to a machine, since, even if it understands, it doesn't really understand what verbal communication is about.

fatality_uk
September 16th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I like cheese!
Thought I would help to raise the level of debate here :)

BeRoot ReBoot
September 16th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Whoever wrote that article is either a troll or a moron. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's trolling here.

So because I don't want a smartphone UI on my 2 26" monitors, I "hate technology"? I don't see how that follows.

pastalavista
September 16th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Apple and Microsoft want their computers to be "standardized" and mostly, it's true, they all look and operate the same. I don't even see them as "Personal Computers" any more, just computing devices. And standardization is seen as a good thing by sheeple and their shepherds because of familiarity from widespread usage. Linux users tend to be rebels who go their own way. Besides, Windows8 has that "Grown-up Playschool" look Windows users have tolerated since XP.

Copper Bezel
September 16th, 2011, 03:19 PM
It looks pretty good, but I can imagine it becoming a PITA to use on a desktop after a while. Pretty good for a tablet, but there's other stuff that I wouldn't want or need on a tablet. Apple has that thing right, iOS is a much more suitable tablet interface, in that it doesn't attempt to be everything at once, and OSX is borrowing the tablet elements, not turning itself into a tablet interface.

It seems Microsoft are just testing an undecided market, and will shape Windows 9 according to trends 8ya know, whether they will keep the Frankenstein combo or split it). The unified tablet/desktop interface could be good for the detachable netbook machines, if they take off, but I'm not sure that's gonna happen with Intel's Ultrabook drive and Apple's strong domination in the mobile arena.
In general, I agree, but I wasn't making a general evaluation on the OS, partly because we know so little still, partly because there's a thread for that in Other OS/Distro Talk, and partly because I really was just responding to the complaint of "clutter", which seems nonsense to me. I do think that the Metro UI's weaknesses are going to be in what it's missing (like a sane application switcher, such as that of Blackberry's Playbook OS) rather than what it's "cluttered" with.

jasonrisenburg
September 16th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Oh, personally do not like metro. I have windows 7 and use it when I need it. To make a comment like that is obtuse and narrow minded. Nothing is absolute. I prefer the classic gnome desktop, does that mean I hate Ubuntu? No, it means that for me to run unity (I do not have enough computer to run gnome 3) I have to adapt it to my needs. So to say that Metro is the end all be all, makes me laugh.

LMP900
September 16th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Here's a great video talking about the Metro design language. (link (http://channel9.msdn.com/events/BUILD/BUILD2011/BPS-1004)) I'm not a fan of the Windows desktop interface, but I'm really excited about the "content before chrome" principles of Metro.

I thought Apple would be the first to venture into this new paradigm. Instead, they have embraced a skeuomorphic interface rather than move away from it. In Mac OS 10.7, there is leather in the calendar application and the address book resembles a physical one. Similar decisions have been made in iOS, including bookshelves and notepads. Having seen Metro, Apple's decorations look tacky and outdated.

red_Marvin
September 16th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Operating systems is a small enough subset of Technology that conclusions
on my thoughts about the latter based on my thoughts about the former are
of no real value.
Furthermore, Windows is a subset of Operating systems.

Credit where credit is due though, they got it right claiming that
I care about politics. It is what shapes the computing world in the long
run I think, so of course I care about it...

3Miro
September 16th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Other than being flashy, what else does Metro give? Did they finally implement Workspaces on Windows? If not, then I hate their interface.

Other than the lack of Workspaces, Windows 7 has overall OK interface. I am not sure how customizable it is with respect to keyboard shortcuts, but you can access most things with one click. Metro looks like the dysfunctional Gnome-shell, where you have to wave your mouse from one end of the screen to the other just to change the Workspace.

Somebody with Windows 8 can confirm how many mouse move-click and keyboard presses it takes to do things in Windows 8:

- Open a program (Browser, File Manager, Chat, Game, Editor, if it makes a difference).
- Switch between opened windows and programs.
- Arrange the opened windows around the desktop.
- Moving things between workspace, if there are workspaces.

If it doesn't have workspaces, then I hate it.

If it takes more than one mouse move-click or more than one keyboard shortcut, then I hate it. (I have to be able to do it in one motion regardless whether i am using keyboard or mouse)

Does that mean that I hate technology?

Or does it mean that I hate inefficiency?

hakermania
September 16th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I like that Google vs Microsoft is a BIG fight ;)

LMP900
September 16th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Other than being flashy, what else does Metro give? Did they finally implement Workspaces on Windows? If not, then I hate their interface.

Workspaces are great on a desktop interface, but you really want workspaces in Metro?

3Miro
September 16th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Workspaces are great on a desktop interface, but you really want workspaces in Metro?

Isn't Metro supposed to be the new interface for Windows 8, which is a desktop OS?

I guess I can ask the question, "does windows 8 have workspaces", I don't care what you call the interface.

MasterNetra
September 16th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Don't you just love false dichotomies.

|{urse
September 16th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I really don't see the point in win8+metro unless you need really big buttons (cough cough)
*points @ very old people*

MasterNetra
September 16th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I really don't see the point in win8+metro unless you need really big buttons (cough cough)
*points @ very old people*

I dunno seems to work fine with Tablets just not right for desktops/laptops.

wolfen69
September 16th, 2011, 05:36 PM
90% of what I do on a computer involves surfing and checking email. Windows 8 will not help me there. I have a feeling people will think they "have to have it", but then will go about doing their usual facebook and twitter routine. Meh.

LMP900
September 16th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Isn't Metro supposed to be the new interface for Windows 8, which is a desktop OS?

I guess I can ask the question, "does windows 8 have workspaces", I don't care what you call the interface.

Metro is their "touch first" UI. It resembles their phone interface: no windows, no chrome - mainly content. Windows 8 will also have the traditional desktop and yes, I'd love to see workspaces on it.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
September 16th, 2011, 05:47 PM

nvidia software that comes with there drives gives you this but it i not a user friendly/efficient as the one we have on Linux especially if you are running custom compiz settings
there is a program i read about in a sourceforge newsletter that gives you this but i forget the name was not any better than the nvidia one though
ms has good performance (hardware acceleration) but has a crappy UI (that ribbon crap ticks me off to no end) in my opinion the more they screw with people the more users will switch to mac/linux

gutterslob
September 16th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Forgive me for going off-topic a tad:

.... (like a sane application switcher, such as that of Blackberry's Playbook OS)....Really sad that the Playbook isn't selling well. From what I've seen, it seems to have the most sensible interface, plus you gotta love QNX. Lets hope their upcoming software/OS update for the Playbook with its promised Android-app compatibility helps generate some momentum.

forrestcupp
September 16th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I like cheese!
Thought I would help to raise the level of debate here :)

Then you need to resurrect The Cheese Super Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1608809&highlight=cheese). But I'm guessing you're not talking about cheddar or brie.

blueturtl
September 16th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Will it run on my K6-3?

Somehow I doubt it. Are we really gonna fall for the prettier GUI again?

At least they're finally moving away from the interface they pioneered in Win95...

3rdalbum
September 16th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I welcome Metro to Windows. It means that they are probably getting rid of the nuisances of Windows such as the constant notifications ("You just plugged in a USB device, now I'm looking for a driver, now I'm installing the driver, now you can use your mouse, oh and hey there's a Java update now") and the inane questions ("You just inserted a flash drive that contains pretty much every filetype known to man, do you want to view the photos on it?").

I'd pretty much update my girlfriend's computer ASAP. Metro sounds like a lot less maintenance, and less stress for me when I need to maintain it.

disabledaccount
September 16th, 2011, 06:28 PM
The title is rather stupid, because windows is operating system for average joes (including evarage joes between administrators) - "point an click" is the most widely known software "technology" behind it. Even in gfx it don't provide enterprise level technology, because CAD standard is openGL and it's not part of windows technology - directX is directed for average joe's gaming solutions (see Quadro and FireGL). Almost every new CPU and chip(set) is first running linux based OS, then (not all of them) are ported to windows.

...wait, before commenting the above please realise that Intel based CPU's (means AMD also) are faar behind today's CPU technology and most advanced PLDs are not created for PCs.
just one example: Tilera Tile-GX multicore CPUs (easy to find and open src)

ubudog
September 16th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Thread closed.

"Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere."