PDA

View Full Version : Linux Game Devs Upload Their Own Game on Pirate Bay

MasterNetra
September 15th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Remember few days back we wrote about a new Linux game, No Time to Explain (NTTE). The game developers have uploaded their own game on Pirate Bay and strangely enough it has increased game sales. Read on. ...

http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2011/09/linux-game-devs-upload-their-own-game.html

snip3r8
September 15th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Epic

MasterNetra
September 15th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Epic

lol I know right.

Quadunit404
September 15th, 2011, 11:10 PM
http://www.trolldad.com/media/other.png Problem, copyright?

MasterNetra
September 15th, 2011, 11:12 PM
http://www.trolldad.com/media/other.png Problem, copyright?

On who? The game dev's themselves put a moded verion of their game onto piratebay. So technically they're giving that version of it away.

Quadunit404
September 15th, 2011, 11:17 PM
According to pro-copyright groups, piracy lowers sales and therefore revenue. However, indie developers uploaded a game THEY made to The Pirate Bay and what do ya know, sales have increased and, therefore, profit has too! So much for "piracy lowers sales and kills jobs herpaderp!" eh?

Lucradia
September 15th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Wasn't that game released on newgrounds?

Dr. C
September 15th, 2011, 11:20 PM
It is a simple and very effective way to generate free promotion, and so much cheaper than lawyers and lobbyists.

MasterNetra
September 15th, 2011, 11:25 PM
It is a simple and very effective way to generate free promotion, and so much cheaper than lawyers and lobbyists.

For startups I'm sure, I would think though something like say the windows OS might suffer some from people using the less then legit versions instead of coughing up the $100-$200+ for it.

kaldor
September 15th, 2011, 11:46 PM
According to pro-copyright groups, piracy lowers sales and therefore revenue. However, indie developers uploaded a game THEY made to The Pirate Bay and what do ya know, sales have increased and, therefore, profit has too! So much for "piracy lowers sales and kills jobs herpaderp!" eh?

Yep. If not for the fact I pirated stuff in the past, I would never have bought the original product. Why would I pay 25 dollars for a CD or 50 dollars for a game?

Examples...

- I pirated Quake 3. Within a short time, I bought every game in the series brand new in store.

- I pirated a few songs from a band I liked. I bought a few of their albums afterwards.

Pirating stuff doesn't mean you're cheap. It just means you don't want to waste money on an overpriced piece of garbage. This is why software piracy is so rampant; who wants to pay nearly 2000 dollars (http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/web/buying-guide.html) for Adobe CS? It's not like they have to charge that much.

I am not condoning stealing a product, by the way. But in the case of many things, I want to know that I'm getting something good before dropping a crapload of money on something. At least free trials exist.

zer010
September 16th, 2011, 12:11 AM
"P.S. Pirate Bay version is Windows only."

WTF?! :(

Spr0k3t
September 16th, 2011, 01:11 AM
If piracy kills Jobs... I need to start leeching more. Oh wait, we are talking about Steve right?

MasterNetra
September 16th, 2011, 01:42 AM
"P.S. Pirate Bay version is Windows only."

WTF?! :(

lol Oh well. Don't they have a demo or something as well?

_d_
September 16th, 2011, 01:55 AM
According to pro-copyright groups, piracy lowers sales and therefore revenue.

I had a huge 6 paragraph post, but then I decided I didn't want to get instant banned here.
xD

earthpigg
September 16th, 2011, 03:44 AM
For startups I'm sure, I would think though something like say the windows OS might suffer some from people using the less then legit versions instead of coughing up the $100-$200+ for it.

Hrm... here's a rough idea:

Windows Gamer Edition, $0.00 for individual download and noncommercial use -- but not licensed for OEM install.

Full DirectX and Vidya Game support... and as little else as possible.

:)

MasterNetra
September 16th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Hrm... here's a rough idea:

Windows Gamer Edition, $0.00 for individual download and noncommercial use -- but not licensed for OEM install.

Full DirectX and Vidya Game support... and as little else as possible.

:)

lol Pitch that to Microsoft and see what the say.