PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best set up for my personal Ubuntu Server

mikiemorales
September 15th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm a 5 months newbie to the Ubuntu - Linux world. I never went out of my Windows-Mac scope before. I has very exited to learn more about this operating system and got on it.

I've been learning quite some new and hard concepts, and I can now do most of the this myself. However, the experience that can be found on this forum can better guide me to the *best* way to set up my system.

Last month I got an Acer EasyStore H340 and 4 x 2TB. Interesting challenge of this particular machine is that it doesn't have a monitor. So I learned how to create a USB with persistent space and ssh to it from there.

The issue I have now, I would like to get the disks in RAID 10 and LVM2 on top of it. The problem is many sources and I guess many versions make this procedure very confusing. Some people say to put swap and boot on the RAID as well so the system keeps running and/or boots from any drive. Also, some other places I read GRUB2 is not compatible with RAID 10. So I this point and after killing my server million time I come here asking for help.

How would you configure a CLEAN install of my setup.
Tell me, according to your experience, the final setup you rather get and the basic steps (not commands) to accomplish it.

Ubuntu (Natty)
4 x 2 TB Hard disks - I "prefer" having them RAID 10
1 x 256 MB internal flash drive

Remember that I don't have access to the BIOS and/screen at all. So I have to do this thru ssh a live pen drive. (I'm also able to set up in another computer and move the drives back to the Acer Easystore when completed.)

Thanks for your comments and suggestions,

Miguel