PDA

View Full Version : Text editor with bracket matching

Peepsalot
May 30th, 2006, 04:21 AM
I'm currently working on a website with some heavy javascript usage. I have a missing bracket somewhere, and I wanted to use an editor with bracket matching to help me find it. I read that gEdit supposedly does this, but I'm not seeing it. Is it supposed to be automatic, or must you do something special to activate it. I've tried placing my cursor on the bracket, writing a new bracket, or highlighting a bracket, and none seem to show me the matching bracket. I just installed Ubuntu fairly recently, and I thought I remembered seeing this feature working a couple days ago, in gedit. I don't know if I'm crazy, or what happened.

I am also trying out bluefish editor and I prefer it slightly over gedit, but I don't believe it has bracket matching built in yet. I'm not set on any one editor at this point, so if anyone can recommend some other editor that is good for this sort of thing I would appreciate it.

The main features I would like:
Syntax highlighting
GUI mode (can use mouse to highlight, etc)
bracket matching
block indenting
MDI

Lux Perpetua
May 30th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Emacs does all that (except maybe MDI, since I'm not sure what that is). It has bracket matching on by default. It's not to everyone's taste, though. If you're curious, I suggest giving it a try. (Definitely go through the tutorial; otherwise, you may feel somewhat lost.)

Seq
May 30th, 2006, 05:11 AM
I'm on Dapper, and I believe there were a few changes to gedit for the gnome 2.14 release if i remember correctly. But anyway;

Edit > Preferences

On the "View" tab, there is an option for "Highlight matching bracket"

Peepsalot
May 30th, 2006, 05:20 AM
I'm on Dapper, and I believe there were a few changes to gedit for the gnome 2.14 release if i remember correctly. But anyway;

Edit > Preferences

On the "View" tab, there is an option for "Highlight matching bracket"
Thanks Seq, not sure how I missed that. I feel dumb.

Haven't used emacs before, but I think I'll give it a try when I have some spare time. For now gedit will do.
By the way, MDI = multiple document interface. Meaning you can have multiple documents open at once and switch between them.

B0rsuk
May 30th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I see you have already solved it, but anyway... If you use Kubuntu, have a look at Kate. It has all features mentioned and more, and unlike emacs or vi is friendly for a beginner.
I described it on this page:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=176482&page=5

bebops_lost
May 12th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks Seq, not sure how I missed that. I feel dumb.

Don't feel dumb. I missed it too and came here for the same reason. Thanks Seq!

stchman
May 12th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I'm currently working on a website with some heavy javascript usage. I have a missing bracket somewhere, and I wanted to use an editor with bracket matching to help me find it. I read that gEdit supposedly does this, but I'm not seeing it. Is it supposed to be automatic, or must you do something special to activate it. I've tried placing my cursor on the bracket, writing a new bracket, or highlighting a bracket, and none seem to show me the matching bracket. I just installed Ubuntu fairly recently, and I thought I remembered seeing this feature working a couple days ago, in gedit. I don't know if I'm crazy, or what happened.

I am also trying out bluefish editor and I prefer it slightly over gedit, but I don't believe it has bracket matching built in yet. I'm not set on any one editor at this point, so if anyone can recommend some other editor that is good for this sort of thing I would appreciate it.

The main features I would like:
Syntax highlighting
GUI mode (can use mouse to highlight, etc)
bracket matching
block indenting
MDI

In gedit, go to Preferences and check the "Highlight matching brace" option. Pretty much any text editor worth its mustard will have brace matching.

Geany is an amazing programmers text editor. Try it, you will like it.

Seq
May 12th, 2011, 06:22 PM
In gedit, go to Preferences and check the "Highlight matching brace" option. Pretty much any text editor worth its mustard will have brace matching.

He probably figured that out about five years ago ;)

juancarlospaco
May 12th, 2011, 07:23 PM
May 30th, 2006