PDA

View Full Version : My fantastic pupil

Off Shore
September 14th, 2011, 11:04 PM
One of my former students has been awarded a scholarship with MIT in the USA.
Thats quite a trip for a young person from the UK and its even more daunting when the person involved is a girl.
Im very proud of her but, unfortunately, cannot claim any credit for her success.
Ive known her since she was 11 and from the beginning I recognised "here is a special person"
She went away to 6th Form College a few years ago so I was very surprised when she turned up today to say goodbye and very embarressed when she made some exceptionally kind remarks about my teaching style.

(I teach up to GCSE at age 16 and she is 18 of course.) I have to say I was jolly pleased at her thoughtfulness.

All this, anyhow, has prompted me to Google for opportunitiues open to females in computing and much to my surprise I found this. ...

http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/

Very well done Canonical and the Ubuntu Community for setting up such a facility. It needs to be better publicised.

Very well done to my former pupil as well. An exceptional young lady :)

Dangertux
September 15th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Wow, that is awesome you must be very proud. Hopefully she will do well and enjoy the experience.

madjr
September 15th, 2011, 05:41 AM
very nice indeed, she looks like she has lots of potential and bright future ahead of her. I hope you dont lose touch. :)

mips
September 15th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Very nice indeed.

Would have loved to study at Caltech.