PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Looking for an application

JPBrabant
September 14th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I'm looking for a small application that I could lunch using a keyboard short cut, I would then write the name of an application I would like to lunch like "Terminal" or "GVim" and it would lunch it. Any ideas ?

Thank you
JPBrabant

JD8182
September 14th, 2011, 06:46 PM
If you want to launch things such as the Terminal by keyboard shortcut, that can be done in the keyboard shortcuts: goto System/preferences/keyboard shortcuts- then you can scroll through the list and change keyboard shortcut keys for the different services. However if you are looking for an explanation to actually make manual shortcuts, there are tutorials I might be able to find and post for you..

I'm looking for a small application that I could lunch using a keyboard short cut, I would then write the name of an application I would like to lunch like "Terminal" or "GVim" and it would lunch it. Any ideas ?

Thank you
JPBrabant

Steve.the.Goolie
September 14th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Alt+F2 brings up the "Run" dialogue, where you can type in the name of the programme.

snowpine
September 14th, 2011, 06:58 PM
If you are using Unity, just press the Windows (super) key.

JPBrabant
September 14th, 2011, 08:05 PM
The second answer with the ALT+F2 is so far the one closest to what I am looking for but I would like it if it could be a little bit more intelligent. For example, I have to write gnome-terminal and not just terminal to open it.

I don't use Unity, my laptop doesn't support it.

Krytarik
September 14th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Try Synaptic, I'm using it in combination with AWN, though it doesn't remember real commands you enter there, like the Alt+F2 dialog of Gnome Panel:

http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/05/synapse-alternative-to-run-dialog-dash.html

Greetings.

haqking
September 14th, 2011, 08:20 PM
The second answer with the ALT+F2 is so far the one closest to what I am looking for but I would like it if it could be a little bit more intelligent. For example, I have to write gnome-terminal and not just terminal to open it.

I don't use Unity, my laptop doesn't support it.

if you want terminal just press ctrl+alt+t

terminal is the application you are looking for in my eyes, you press ctrl+alt+t and type the name of the app.

Been that way since linux started ;-)

zealibib slaughter
September 14th, 2011, 08:29 PM
You may like Gnome-do. Here is how to set it up under unity: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/install-and-configure-gnome-do-in-ubuntu-unity/2535

garvinrick4
September 14th, 2011, 08:37 PM
If you choose you can go to keyboard shortcuts and add your own. Or you can change
ones that are there to what you want. I use F12 for volume up and F9 for volume down.
alt/t for terminal and such. You can do about what you want with shortcuts. Just have
to know the command to use in shortcut for adding one. To change one that is already there just click on it and it will ask for new key command.
This will put a list of all installed packages so as to have true package name alphabetically
in Home. Hope this helps a bit.

sudo dpkg --get-selections > installedsoftware

## Post 8 might be good for you also gnome-do is real nice just type in first few letters of what you want and hit enter and opens.
Have not used it with unity, dash seems like a sophisticated gnome-do.

JPBrabant
September 15th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Thank you for your suggestion, I'll take a look at post 6 and 8. I just installed Deskbar-Applet (http://projects.gnome.org/deskbar-applet/). It seem to do what I want.

EDIT : Is there anyway to edit the main post to put SOLVED in the title ?

haqking
September 15th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Thank you for your suggestion, I'll take a look at post 6 and 8. I just installed Deskbar-Applet (http://projects.gnome.org/deskbar-applet/). It seem to do what I want.

EDIT : Is there anyway to edit the main post to put SOLVED in the title ?
use thread tools menu and choose mark as solved.

cheers

stinkeye
September 15th, 2011, 03:19 PM
You may also like kupfer which will suggest programs as you type
and you can also add programs to favourites.