PDA

View Full Version : Branching off from gnome.

Zeta-K
September 14th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I need a project to do, and so I was wondering how many people would be interested in a split from gnome at gnome2 . I'd like to start a site and build a community that branches off from gnome2, without becoming stale. There would be new releases with new features, but with a different goal than where gnome is going with gnome3. It would be geared towards a mixture of familiarity, convenience features, and customizability rather than eye-candy and touchscreens. I'm not looking for people to help just yet, as it'd be a good idea to have a little bit already completed first, I'm just looking for general advice and input.
Any thoughts?

Perfect Storm
September 14th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Instead you could help out at: http://elementaryos.org/get-involved
In the long run they will branch off Gnome 3, in bid by bid.

Zeta-K
September 14th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Instead you could help out at: http://elementaryos.org/get-involved
In the long run they will branch off Gnome 3, in bid by bid.
Seems too 'dumbed down' still. Not enough customizability. And that's a whole OS, I want to make a gnomish DE that'll easily implement into any Linux.

cariboo
September 14th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Before actually starting anything, why not have a look at the gnome 2 code, to see if you can actually fork it, so far the two people that have tried, have disappeared from the face of the earth. :)

Perfect Storm
September 14th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Seems too 'dumbed down' still. Not enough customizability. And that's a whole OS, I want to make a gnomish DE that'll easily implement into any Linux.

Actually you don't have to work with the whole OS, you just 'pick' or where there's a need to do. It's Open Source and when matured I'm sure we'll see it on available other Distros as well.

If not, why not make the stuff you think is missing in Gnome 3? If you think it lacks in some areas, then make it available that people can download.

fatality_uk
September 14th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I need a project to do, and so I was wondering how many people would be interested in a split from gnome at gnome2 . I'd like to start a site and build a community that branches off from gnome2, without becoming stale. There would be new releases with new features, but with a different goal than where gnome is going with gnome3. It would be geared towards a mixture of familiarity, convenience features, and customizability rather than eye-candy and touchscreens. I'm not looking for people to help just yet, as it'd be a good idea to have a little bit already completed first, I'm just looking for general advice and input.
Any thoughts?

Can I suggest, no PLEAD with you to do some "stuff" that shows what you are looking to achieve. I may just be a jaded old git but the number of "Hey folks lets fork X" or "I want to fork Y" posts I have seen in the last 15 or so years that have amounted to zip is incredible. As cariboo907 is highlighting, it AIN'T easy!!

If you have the skills, such as programming and time to allow you to fork Gnome, then I suggest you have a look at many of the distos out there that are crying out for quality developers.

FreeTheBee
September 14th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Why not have a look at Mate. The website seems to have been down for a while, but there is still activity on github and the Arch forum.

I agree with cariboo907 on checking the code a bit before starting. Forking a big project like gnome seems like a daunting task.

Zeta-K
September 14th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Can I suggest, no PLEAD with you to do some "stuff" that shows what you are looking to achieve. I may just be a jaded old git but the number of "Hey folks lets fork X" or "I want to fork Y" posts I have seen in the last 15 or so years that have amounted to zip is incredible. As cariboo907 is highlighting, it AIN'T easy!!

If you have the skills, such as programming and time to allow you to fork Gnome, then I suggest you have a look at many of the distos out there that are crying out for quality developers.

Actually, that's just the thing, I have mediocre programming skills, but a LOT of time. I was going to take this on as a learning experience and something to do with spare time in college. Possibly during class as I'll hopefully be majoring in open source technologies at UAT. I don't really have the experience to do this by myself, but I can code and I think I can make something good enough to attract people to it and get help. Plus, I'll be getting better.

Also, I said I wasn't looking for help yet for exactly that reason.

Zeta-K
September 14th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Why not have a look at Mate. The website seems to have been down for a while, but there is still activity on github and the Arch forum.

I agree with cariboo907 on checking the code a bit before starting. Forking a big project like gnome seems like a daunting task.
I'll have a look at mate, but I don't really want to get involved with it. Too static. I think there's tons of room for improvement in gnome, just not in the way it's going.

fatality_uk
September 14th, 2011, 05:13 PM
http://git.gnome.org/browse/
Have a look here

JDShu
September 14th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Actually, that's just the thing, I have mediocre programming skills, but a LOT of time. I was going to take this on as a learning experience and something to do with spare time in college. Possibly during class as I'll hopefully be majoring in open source technologies at UAT. I don't really have the experience to do this by myself, but I can code and I think I can make something good enough to attract people to it and get help. Plus, I'll be getting better.

Also, I said I wasn't looking for help yet for exactly that reason.

I suggest you find a well running open source project where you can get help from more experienced people, rather than trying to figure everything out all at once. I understand that it's easy to get excited about an idea, but trying to do such a massive project as somebody inexperienced is practically impossible, and you'll probably find that its value as a learning tool is essentially learning about your limitations.

That said, if you're really passionate about it now, just try it - nobody is stopping you, but don't be discouraged if and when you realize that you'd rather be doing something else.

BrokenKingpin
September 14th, 2011, 07:34 PM
There have already been a few forks of Gnome2, such as Mate. So maybe just contribute to them, or another DE such as Xfce.

Frogs Hair
September 14th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Try this one. https://github.com/Perberos/Mate-Desktop-Environment

walt.smith1960
September 14th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I'm not a programmer or all that knowledgeable but my understanding is that Gnome3 is designed to be easily extended where Unity really isn't. Maybe look into writing the next must-have add-on or extension or whatever they're called in Gnome 3. If someone really wants a challenge, make installing wireless adapters predictable.