PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Fan Help...

Shibblet
September 14th, 2011, 07:15 AM
What the heck is "Butterbeer" ?

JDShu
September 14th, 2011, 07:20 AM
It's a non-existent drink that Rowling describes in a way that makes it seem delicious. That description was probably one of her better bits of prose :)

uRock
September 14th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I would think it was a soda with a butterscotch flavoring. Probably would've been a sales hit if someone had marketed it at the release of the first or second book.

m0ntels
September 14th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I got some butterbeer at Universal Studios. Good stuff. It's kind of similar to a cream soda with a bit of butterscotch flavor. The non-frozen was too sweet according to the guy working the bar at the Hog's Head.

In the books, butterbeer has a slight alcohol content, but the ones at the theme park have no alcohol.

Pumpkin juice was also available and tasted like spiced cider.

The broomstick ride through the Hogwarts castle was amazing. Moaning Myrtle's voice is piped into the restrooms. Basically what I'm saying is even though I'm not a huge Potter fanboy, the section at Universal was awesome and you should go.

Shibblet
September 15th, 2011, 07:33 AM
All I could think of was something made by Land O Lakes... and that just seemed kind of gross.

kaldor
September 15th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Buttery beer? Ew.

snip3r8
September 15th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Anyone want to try make their own and post the recipe,maybe pictures?

Shibblet
September 16th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Buttery beer? Ew.

I know, right?

hansdown
September 16th, 2011, 08:18 AM
All I could think of was something made by Land O Lakes... and that just seemed kind of gross.

I didn't realise, that Land O Lakes was that well known.

:)

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 16th, 2011, 07:40 PM
In the books, butterbeer has a slight alcohol content, but the ones at the theme park have no alcohol.

Anyone want to try make their own and post the recipe,maybe pictures?

Neophyte wizard's method:

1 oz or 30 ml -- butterscotch schnapps
8 oz or 240 ml -- cream soda

Adjust the quantity of each ingredient to achieve the desired magical effect :)

hakermania
September 16th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Huh, I remember this word from the book, it seems delicious, indeed.

Shibblet
September 16th, 2011, 10:29 PM

Have you tested this, or am I your guinea pig?

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 16th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Have you tested this, or am I your guinea pig?

Yes, I have tested it; however, everyone has their preferences. What tastes good to me may not taste good to you.

uRock
September 16th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I bought the fixings. Now I have to wait for the freezer to make them usable.

IWantFroyo
September 16th, 2011, 11:28 PM
The butterbeer in the book sounded extremely delicious.

Is there a non-alcoholic method though? I'd like to be able to share it with the younger members of the family, and I don't like to drink.

I've been doing a bit of Googling, and it seems that the butterscotch syrup ice cream topping is a good bet. I'm going to have to try it. I might consider adding a bit of some ice cream to melt in there, too. That should give it a good flavor.

Okay. I'm already drooling. I'm going to have to try this.

uRock
September 16th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Mixed it and smiled. The little one likes it, too.(Completely legal in my state.)

uRock
September 16th, 2011, 11:31 PM
The butterbeer in the book sounded extremely delicious.

Is there a non-alcoholic method though? I'd like to be able to share it with the younger members of the family, and I don't like to drink.

I've been doing a bit of Googling, and it seems that the butterscotch syrup ice cream topping is a good bet. I'm going to have to try it. I might consider adding a bit of some ice cream to melt in there, too. That should give it a good flavor.

Okay. I'm already drooling. I'm going to have to try this.

That sounds like a great treat. The ice cream and cream soda.

haqking
September 16th, 2011, 11:33 PM
That sounds like a great treat. The ice cream and cream soda.

Cream soda with ice Cream and chocolate sauce has been a treat in my house since i was a kid , and thats over 30 years ago.....Love it !

IWantFroyo
September 16th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Cream soda with ice Cream and chocolate sauce has been a treat in my house since i was a kid , and thats over 30 years ago.....Love it !

Then, adding butterscotch flavouring shouldn't mangle the taste. I'm going to get the ingredients next time I head out. :)

haqking
September 16th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Then, adding butterscotch flavouring shouldn't mangle the taste. I'm going to get the ingredients next time I head out. :)

I think it must be a british thing, alot of people i know have them. Also dandelion and burdock soda with mint choc chip ice cream...goes down a treat, but i think you can only get d & b in the UK ?

mmm im thirsty now

IWantFroyo
September 16th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I think it must be a british thing, alot of people i know have them. Also dandelion and burdock soda with mint choc chip ice cream...goes down a treat, but i think you can only get d & b in the UK ?

mmm im thirsty now

Must be. I've never heard of it. Most of my culinary experiences are either with American, Russian, or Japanese food. The two first ones are what I eat and cook the most.

kr0n1x
September 16th, 2011, 11:45 PM
oh god: http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/3007/lunch-box-oatmeal-cookies <3

i had never heard of land o lakes xD

i ate something similar in london... bought those cookies in a sainsbury's market. delicious <3

uRock
September 16th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Mixed it and smiled. The little one likes it, too.(Completely legal in my state.)

BTW, this is 1.6% alcohol by volume. I am gonna mix Scotch with the cream soda and see if it is less sweet/rich and more flavor/rich.

Shibblet
September 17th, 2011, 10:44 PM
oh god: http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/3007/lunch-box-oatmeal-cookies <3

i had never heard of land o lakes xD

i ate something similar in london... bought those cookies in a sainsbury's market. delicious <3

This is what I was aiming at...
http://www.givemeneither.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/land-o-lakes-butter-coupon.jpg

I liked mine a bit stronger. 2 oz Schanpps to 8 oz Cream Soda. Kudos Old_Gray_Wolf, that was really good.

I had the vomit flavored jelly bean... I need to find some chocolate frogs...

uRock
September 17th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I liked using the 12oz cream soda can and 3/4 shot butterscotch schnapps and 3/4 shot scotch. I had a very sour stomach last night from ordering my Thai way too hot, so I didn't get to drink much.

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 18th, 2011, 01:09 AM
I liked using the 12oz cream soda can and 3/4 shot butterscotch schnapps and 3/4 shot scotch

I liked mine a bit stronger. 2 oz Schanpps to 8 oz Cream Soda. Kudos Old_Gray_Wolf, that was really good

:lolflag:

As I said :),

Recipes for butterbeer, or known by other names, have been around long before the Harry Potter novels.

Some of the recipes give instructions for making your own caramel from butter and dark sugar.

That just seems like to much work.

I prefer a cup of this and a shot or two of that and I'm done.

To be quite honest, Alchemy wasn't my best subject in wizard school when I studied it in the 19th century :)