PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Install E17?

galacticaboy
September 13th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I am running Xubuntu 10.04 and I have seen some people using E17. I would like to give it a try. Is there a PPA I can use to download E17? If so what is it and what is the package I install?

galacticaboy
September 13th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I am running Xubuntu 10.04 and I have seen some people using E17. I would like to give it a try. Is there a PPA I can use to download E17? If so what is it and what is the package I install?

Nevermind guys, I wrote too soon, I found it in Synaptic under E17.

XubuRoxMySox
September 13th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Let us k now how you like it! I've been tempted to play with it myself, but I'm unwilling to take chances right now because I'm down to only one single 'puter for school and I dare not mess it up! :D

Thanks!

Frogs Hair
September 13th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Let us k now how you like it! I've been tempted to play with it myself, but I'm unwilling to take chances right now because I'm down to only one single 'puter for school and I dare not mess it up! :D

Thanks!

I have been using E17 on a limited basis with Ubuntu for a couple months and like it . I just wish it was complete , so I could consider it for long term use . The timing is ideal to finish it because of the Unity Gnome 3 debate .

galacticaboy
September 13th, 2011, 07:16 PM

Thanks!

I did not care for it, I found it extremely ugly and actually quite slow, my Xfce is ran way better.

Frogs Hair
September 13th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I did not care for it, I found it extremely ugly and actually quite slow, my Xfce is ran way better.

I agree , the default theme is not much to look at . With the PPA it is possible to install themes , but it runs very fast on my computer and uses half the resources Unity does .

galacticaboy
September 13th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I agree , the default theme is not much to look at . With the PPA it is possible to install themes , but it runs very fast on my computer and uses half the resources Unity does .

Well, I don't think I will use it, I actually like unity, I have to use Unity 2D though, for now I think I will just keep using Xfce until I get a better computer then I will move twords Gnome 3 or Unity.

Frogs Hair
September 13th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Well, I don't think I will use it, I actually like unity, I have to use Unity 2D though, for now I think I will just keep using Xfce until I get a better computer then I will move twords Gnome 3 or Unity.

I like Unity also , I've been using 3D since 11.04 came out . I'm looking forward to see the changes in 11.10 in 30 days . I was curios about E17 and will look in on it from time to time.

Blasphemist
September 13th, 2011, 11:08 PM
I'm multi booting and one of my partitions has bodhi linux which is built from ubuntu lucid but with the 3.0.0-9 kernal and E17. bodhi comes with a good number of themes and there are a bunch more available on their web site. The bodhi website also has some good documentation that helps you see some of the E17 differences quickly. Things like that you just click anywhere on the desktop for the menu. And shelves, instead of panels, are very interesting too. http://www.bodhilinux.com/wiki/doku.php?id=e17_-_the_bodhi_guide_to_enlightenment

Blasphemist
September 13th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Just saw this from one of the people I follow in G+. Checked it out and 6 months is the default view but this is for the last 7 days. E17, or at least bodhi that uses it, is getting hot with not just me.
Page Hit Ranking
Data span:

Rank Distribution H.P.D*
1 Ubuntu 1894
2 Bodhi 1838
3 Mint 1816
4 ArchBang 1463
5 Fedora 1389
6 Arch 1288
7 openSUSE 1283
8 Unity 1225
9 Debian 1204
10 FreeBSD 966

http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=1

galacticaboy
September 14th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I really liked what MoonOS used to do with Enlightenment. It used to be very nice, but now they use Gnome for their main DE.