PDA

View Full Version : Looking into building my own Linux based handheld device.

ki4jgt
September 13th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Looking into building my own handheld device (like the Zipit z2). I want it to run Linux and start up with one particular program. What would I have to look into to achieve such a thing?

whatthefunk
September 13th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Do you mean building the hardware for the thing too? Would this be for commercial production or just for yourself?

ki4jgt
September 13th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Do you mean building the hardware for the thing too? Would this be for commercial production or just for yourself?

Commercial. Zipit has discontinued their line of products (though cheap, were still worth every penny) Zipit's problem was that they were using the product for things which most people already had covered. However, I would like to market something close to them with a different purpose. I was told to submit my idea to Peek, but they're cellular, and though my idea works with that, it works better with wifi.

whatthefunk
September 13th, 2011, 04:37 AM
What would your product do that a modern smart phone cant?

ki4jgt
September 13th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Basically the same as the Zipit, messaging with an edge, I know there's no such thing as fully secured. . . but my product would basically provide secure, untraceable, undecipherable, unblockable, uninterceptable text messaging. I've been talking with another developer all week, we both honestly think it will work. The entire platform will be open sourced and updated automatically. It works like modern SMS except with all the features mentioned above. I've actually tried contacting Zipit to ask them to reconsider (I know it's a long shot <very expensive>) but it would be a great tool. The only thing they can offer is the major amount of stock they currently have on hand but are getting rid of. :-(. Businesses and individuals would be allowed to use it FREE of costs. Basically they'd be paying for the hardware and not the software. Ports to PC, Mac, Linux, Android and hopefully iOS would be planned. Again, I have spoken to another dev (a little more qualified than I am) We both believe it will work. but need the hardware to run a Linux system on, and no fancy touch screen keyboards. I'm interested in how Zipit got the resources so cheaply and how India is able to pull together a $30 tablet and no one else is able to find hardware like this.

whatthefunk
September 13th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Basically the same as the Zipit, messaging with an edge, I know there's no such thing as fully secured. . . but my product would basically provide secure, untraceable, undecipherable, unblockable, uninterceptable text messaging. I've been talking with another developer all week, we both honestly think it will work. The entire platform will be open sourced and updated automatically. It works like modern SMS except with all the features mentioned above. I've actually tried contacting Zipit to ask them to reconsider (I know it's a long shot <very expensive>) but it would be a great tool. The only thing they can offer is the major amount of stock they currently have on hand but are getting rid of. :-(. Businesses and individuals would be allowed to use it FREE of costs. Basically they'd be paying for the hardware and not the software. Ports to PC, Mac, Linux, Android and hopefully iOS would be planned. Again, I have spoken to another dev (a little more qualified than I am) We both believe it will work. but need the hardware to run a Linux system on, and no fancy touch screen keyboards. I'm interested in how Zipit got the resources so cheaply and how India is able to pull together a $30 tablet and no one else is able to find hardware like this.

Hmmm...I can SMS on my phone. Unlimited for $3 a month.

India can make stuff for that cheap because their are hoards of dirt poor people who will work 12 hour shifts for a dollar a day. There are few environmental regulations, and most of those that do exist arent actually enforced. Also, in India there is a huge market for recycled goods. Dudes spend their entire life wading around in filth to find and extract what ever they can from garbage: thread, plastic, metals, etc. I wouldnt be surprised if your zip had some recycled stuff in it.

ki4jgt
September 13th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Hmmm...I can SMS on my phone. Unlimited for $3 a month.

India can make stuff for that cheap because their are hoards of dirt poor people who will work 12 hour shifts for a dollar a day. There are few environmental regulations, and most of those that do exist arent actually enforced. Also, in India there is a huge market for recycled goods. Dudes spend their entire life wading around in filth to find and extract what ever they can from garbage: thread, plastic, metals, etc. I wouldnt be surprised if your zip had some recycled stuff in it.

Yeah, you can, but it's still not secured to the point that only you and the person you send the message to can read it. (I know secured doesn't and never should mean fully secured.) It's not untraceable. No matter where you are, someone will be able to trace your message back to you. It's not encrypted. Sure, it's spread spectrum, but it's not encrypted from the eyes of your carrier. It's not unblockable. If the police department or some other agency wanted to shut you down, it would happen in a heartbeat. The program allows it's users to IM in peace. Offline messages will still arrive at their intended destinations. The message can be of ANY length. There will be FREE ports to Mac, Linux, PC, Android and iOS. Most importantly, it will all be open source and freely modifiable. You can't do that with a cellphone's sms plan. Even for $3 a month. Why spend that, when you can have unlimited texting (with all the above benefits) for FREE.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the insight. I now feel that I'll never get to create my own product, unless I engineer it myself :-(

whatthefunk
September 13th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Is there really a market for such a product? Are people concerned enough about their text message security to buy a second gadget and carry it around everywhere? Also, wifi....no wifi where I live. Id have to walk half a mile to text. And the wifi half mile away is at a coffee shop so Id either have to sit in the bushes out front or buy a coffee to text. Theres wifi in the city center but it isnt free. Just seems like a lot of hassle for, well, nothing.

I hope I didnt discourage you too much!

aeiah
September 13th, 2011, 01:39 PM
this seems like a software opportunity, not a hardware one. we're just talking about encrypted communication, after all. surely an android / ios app would serve the same purpose? you could probably also make one for older phones/platforms.

by the way, if you really think hardware is the way to go, have a look at the raspberry pi. they'll be able to point you in the direction of their sources if you need something the raspi doesnt offer

ninjaaron
September 13th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Not that a linux handheld is a bad idea, but when I saw the thread title, I knew it had to be from the guy who wanted use a CC licence for code (which is, in fact, a bad idea).

Copper Bezel
September 13th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I hate to say it, but even the Raspberry Pi board (which came to mind for me, too, seeing this topic title) might be more than ki4jgt is looking for. If the board alone retails for half the cost of a Zipit, I mean, and that doesn't even include a WiFi antenna....

Edit: But yeah, a web-based service with proper security measures on Android or iOS would accomplish the goal with less fuss.

BrokenKingpin
September 13th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I wouldn’t mind building my own tablet like device with a Beagle Board and putting a custom Linux distro on it. Would be nice because I would have complete control over the software and the hardware is also very open.

ki4jgt
September 13th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Not that a linux handheld is a bad idea, but when I saw the thread title, I knew it had to be from the guy who wanted use a CC licence for code (which is, in fact, a bad idea).

LOL, yeah. I just think a linux handheld would be great. The person would be free to install the distro of their choosing. However, IMO, it would be more secure to have a separate device for the secure connections. Android and iOS tend to get worms and trojans b/c of inexperienced users. This device, though open would be closed to users who didn't want it open thus, it would be free of spyware from third party apps. That's the reason another device is required.

ki4jgt
September 13th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I wouldn’t mind building my own tablet like device with a Beagle Board and putting a custom Linux distro on it. Would be nice because I would have complete control over the software and the hardware is also very open.

Are there actually no plans for an open tablet? I read about 2 or 3 but they were closed down b/c of disagreements between founders. :-(

I'm still posing this question. Would anyone be interested in building an open source tablet that could be modified by anyone? I'm actually considering getting a PCB program and drawing out plans for this. Anyone interested? Of course you could do it too b/c most people on here would probably know a little bit more about electronics than me. I took it in HS but that was 3 years ago.