PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] window manager broken after 11.04 AGAIN

BloodyIron
September 13th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Okay so I followed a whole plethora of instructions to fix my window manager after upgrading to 11.04.

I'm pretty sure the last thing which fixed it was getting the desktop manager to run compiz --replace on start, but now I can't find where I stashed that, the window manager is gone, and when I try to do it again in the terminal the screen blinks repeatedly until i log out or reboot the system.

Seriously guys, what the **** is up with 11.04?

Also, is there a thread covering this already? I have tried looking around, can't find one yet.

BloodyIron
September 13th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Bump

MG&TL
September 13th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I had this problem in a different form, but it seems to be fixed for me in 11.10, so stick with 10.04 release and wait for 11.10, or get the beta.

EDIT: ahhh....mythubuntu....sorry...I have Ubuntu, scratch what I just said. I really should check those tags more often. Prevents embarrasments like these.

BloodyIron
September 13th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I had this problem in a different form, but it seems to be fixed for me in 11.10, so stick with 10.04 release and wait for 11.10, or get the beta.

EDIT: ahhh....mythubuntu....sorry...I have Ubuntu, scratch what I just said. I really should check those tags more often. Prevents embarrasments like these.

lol, it's still useful information though :)

i'll just have to bide my time and figure out something else in the mean time

Blasphemist
September 13th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Usually this happens when changing compiz settings that affect others. I know, it is not uncommon. I believe these are what you are looking for.

How to Revert your changes in the event you end up breaking unity.

You can reset unity or compiz or both by doing the following.

Open a terminal by hitting ctrl+alt+t or alt+f2, if one of those key combination does not open the terminal try ctrl+alt+f1 thru f6. Then type this command in terminal to reset unity.

Unity --reset

Use these commands to reset all the settings in compiz.

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compizconfig-1
This came from this great tutorial that you may or may not be into. http://amazingubuntucube.blogspot.com/

BloodyIron
September 14th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Usually this happens when changing compiz settings that affect others. I know, it is not uncommon. I believe these are what you are looking for.

This came from this great tutorial that you may or may not be into. http://amazingubuntucube.blogspot.com/

I'm not using Unity, Mythbuntu uses XFCE because its lighter weight, is there an equivalent for XFCE?

BloodyIron
September 15th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Guess not.

Blasphemist
September 15th, 2011, 05:52 PM
If you're interested, I'm about to install natty in a test partition and then change it to use Enlightenment E17. I plan to keep track of what I do and how. If Xfce is giving you trouble on mythbuntu, maybe trying E17 is of interest to you. From what I can tell it can be done without removing what DE you're using.

Anyway, let me know if want made aware of how it goes.

BloodyIron
September 15th, 2011, 09:35 PM
how lightweight is it compared to XFCE?

If you're interested, I'm about to install natty in a test partition and then change it to use Enlightenment E17. I plan to keep track of what I do and how. If Xfce is giving you trouble on mythbuntu, maybe trying E17 is of interest to you. From what I can tell it can be done without removing what DE you're using.

Anyway, let me know if want made aware of how it goes.

Blasphemist
September 15th, 2011, 09:50 PM
how lightweight is it compared to XFCE?

I didn't quickly find any tests for this comparison. Here are the specs for Bodhi linux that uses Enlightenment E17. I don't know how much of that is required by E17.
300mhz i386 Processor
128megs of RAM
1.5g HD space

BloodyIron
September 15th, 2011, 10:50 PM
That is probably sufficiently low, lol thanks :D

I didn't quickly find any tests for this comparison. Here are the specs for Bodhi linux that uses Enlightenment E17. I don't know how much of that is required by E17.
300mhz i386 Processor
128megs of RAM
1.5g HD space