PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wifi gone after using ndiswrapper

Adromir
September 12th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Hello,
i had troubles with the wireless on my eee-PC 701. Although i have a rather good signal strength (using a Router+Repeater), my internet connection was really, really slow and often disconnected. So i tried using the windows drivers for my wireless device via ndiswrapper, but it didnt helped either.

After uninstalling the Windows Drivers, my wireless isnt recognized any more at all. Even iwconfig tells me, that i dont have any wireless adapters.

I seem to be to stupid to find a solution for it.

thanks for your help

as2000
September 13th, 2011, 05:09 AM
You are not stupid my friend.

I had the same issues as you because the wireless card Asus uses is not the best. I simply bought a wireless card made by Intel and dropped it into my Eee and no longer had to worry about the wrapper. Ubuntu has native support for those cards. New Egg sells them. Just do a search for mini PCI express and you will find them. You may also try Ebay, but it can be risky.

praseodym
September 13th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Please show:

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
lsusb
iwconfig
rfkill list
sudo iwlist scan

Adromir
September 14th, 2011, 09:15 PM
lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:001c] (rev 01)

lsusb
No ethernet devices listed

iwconfig
lo no wireless extensiom
eth0 no wireless extension

rfkill list
0: eeepc-wlan Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
hard blocked: no

sudo iwlist scan
lo Interface doesnt suppurt scanning
eth0 Interface doesnt support scanning

thanks much for your helps

praseodym
September 14th, 2011, 09:33 PM
You dont need ndiswrapper for this device, remove it and load the driver you need:

sudo modprobe -rf ndiswrapper
sudo apt-get remove --purge ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 ndisgtk
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper.conf
sudo rm -r /etc/ndiswrapper/*
sudo depmod -a
sudo modprobe -v ath5k
sudo service network-manager restart
Check:

iwconfig
sudo iwlist scan
dmesg | egrep 'ath|ndis'
lsmod
grep ath5k /etc/modprobe.d/*
cat /etc/modules

Adromir
September 14th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks, that really helped, wireless is now working again. I just hope its working a bit faster now, without the constant timeouts..

praseodym
September 14th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I recommend WPA2-AES (CCMP) encryption, the network-manager often has problems with mixed exryption.

Adromir
September 14th, 2011, 10:29 PM
thanks for the Advice, i will try that

Adromir
September 16th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Mmh i am really considering switching to windows again :( Today my Wifi doesnt connect at all again (although having max. signal strength). I even tested it with an usb wireless stick, but couldnt connect with it either..

praseodym
September 16th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Please show the outpus of my first posting again, plus

dmesg | egrep 'ath|ndis'

Adromir
September 27th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Hi, sorry i didnt react earlier, but i was on a 8 nights nightshift.
I really get frustrated in the moment, because its only a case of luck, if my Wifi is working or not. One time i switch on my netbook and Wifi works, next time it doesnt. The only safe way to have it working is plugging in my Smartphone and using its tethering option...