PDA

View Full Version : Ford likes Open-Source

Lucradia
September 12th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Hey guess what, http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-20104962-52/ford-unveils-openxc-invites-open-source-applications/

LowSky
September 12th, 2011, 09:56 PM
But Sync is made by Microsoft, looks like Ford doesn't wanna give them another dime, haha.

Toz
September 13th, 2011, 02:47 AM
This is really interesting - giving the customer greater control of the device (in this case the car's onboard computer). Imagine being able to customize the display and potentially the applications that run on it. Potentially a game-changer in this industry. Assuming of course, that security is properly managed, both for the owner of the device and for other users on the road (think more potential driver distractions).

IWantFroyo
September 13th, 2011, 03:09 AM
This is really interesting - giving the customer greater control of the device (in this case the car's onboard computer). Imagine being able to customize the display and potentially the applications that run on it. Potentially a game-changer in this industry. Assuming of course, that security is properly managed, both for the owner of the device and for other users on the road (think more potential driver distractions).

I agree. It has a lot of potential, but as soon as someone crashes because of this, things are going to start going downhill.

If Ford plays it right, though, they could introduce a good standard into the car industry. Considering how popular and useful smartphones are, having an alternative that's acceptable to use while driving would be game-changing (at least to the people who really have to fire off that text while going down the highway at 75mph).

A problem I see is the possibility of hacking. If people start putting custom firmware and non-approved programs onto their dashboards, it could possibly start to become dangerous. Imagine your GPS getting hacked...

pjd99
September 13th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Yay, they can turn your windscreen into a smartphone/netbook. Like that's important. More distractions for bad drivers is just what we need.

Networking of cars is the next step in driverless cars (then maybe augmented reality?!?). Start attaching ultrasonic sensors and you can do collision avoidance (already being implemented), controlling speeds automatically to reduce congestion in peak periods, removing the need for traffic lights etc, you know, things that might actually matter instead of "Yay, you can see how much money I waste on petrol".

Originally Posted by Toz http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11245755#post11245755)
This is really interesting - giving the customer greater control of the device (in this case the car's onboard computer). Imagine being able to customize the display and potentially the applications that run on it. Potentially a game-changer in this industry. Assuming of course, that security is properly managed, both for the owner of the device and for other users on the road (think more potential driver distractions). Real user control won't happen until they open source their engine management software, then instead of sharing your fuel consumption you'd be able to affect it by changing the engine mapping.

Maybe it's just the cynic in me coming out, but I cant see this making the roads any safer to drive on. I reckon it'll have the opposite effect.

Toz
September 13th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Maybe it's just the cynic in me coming out, but I cant see this making the roads any safer to drive on. I reckon it'll have the opposite effect.

I remember when smartphones started becoming popular and our first business customer asked about allowing them in the organization as a computing device to assist with managing some part of their business. We (IT) let out a collective groan. But look at it now. Its made its way from a fancy new toy/personal device to a valid business tool. Even we (IT) use them now.

Where there is a will, there is a way. I feel the same will happen here. A safe middle ground will eventually be found where safety will not be (?unduly?) compromised and the benefits, to some extent, will be realized.

sammiev
September 13th, 2011, 03:46 AM
I think Ford made the right choice. :)

cprofitt
September 13th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I worry seeing OS X in the article that they may make this software only available via iTunes.

walt.smith1960
September 13th, 2011, 07:58 PM
A number of automotive reviewers don't seem to care for the current implementation of Sync. They feel it's confusing and cumbersome and potentially distracting. Huh ):P. I've never driven a vehicle with it so I can't share any firsthand experience.

Toz
September 14th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Either way, its a very savvy move in an attempt to gain competitive advantage. I'm really interested in seeing if the competition will keep pace (they almost have to) and how that will play out.

ninjaaron
September 14th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Corprately backed Open Source is, bar none, the best model for software development. I don't know how the implemetation or reception will be, but I'm sure the software will be excellent.

serpentracer
September 14th, 2011, 02:38 AM
I think making the car more reliable and fuel efficient should be ford's goals. not making them more flashy so people will buy them and forget all about their often lack of engineering qualities.
don't get me wrong, not all of ford's cars or trucks are terrible but the majority of them are.
ford is notorious for over complicating the wiring systems. they're a mechanics nightmare. (yes I'm a mechanic)