PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Install LXDE on XFCE...

galacticaboy
September 12th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I am currently running Xubuntu 10.10. I would like to install LXDE also. How can I install LXDE only and not all of the programs that come with LXDE, I just want the desktop, nothing else.

blackbird34
September 12th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Open synaptic, type lxde in the search bar, it ought to show up a list of packets, some of which are the minimum to get an lxde desktop. It worked for me, i'll test it again in a minute, i'm on live cd at the moment

I did this with lxde and kde on the same 11.04 system (now with 4 fairly happy DEs to choose from on login) so it should be ok :popcorn:

XubuRoxMySox
September 12th, 2011, 10:56 PM
In Synaptic choose "LXDE" and install it (it requires a few things, but it won't install major applications like a web browser and all that. You'll get a file manager (PCManFM - very nice, still my favorite), LXSession manager, LXpanel, etc.

Or you can do
sudo apt-get install lxde in the terminal.

drawkcab
September 13th, 2011, 02:42 AM
The cool part about that set up is that you can still use thunar in lubuntu.

amjjawad
September 22nd, 2011, 10:44 PM
Your question has already been answered but just want to add that the Menu will be mixed so you'll see both LXDE and XFCE apps.

Just a note for anyway who is wondering what will happen after that. Of course, you can switch between LXDE and XFCE at the login screen.